Sawatch 13ers Recommendations / Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Sawatch 13ers Recommendations / Conditions

Post by desertdog »

I was thinking about climbing some 13ers in the Sawatch this Monday and Tuesday. Given the current snow conditions any recommendations and/or beta would be appreciated. My considerations are TH access, ease of route finding and keeping it to around 10 mile or less. Thanks in advance for your help! Also, if anyone is interested in joining me let me know.

Richard
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sawatch 13ers Recommendations / Conditions

Post by smoove »

Just did Quail Mountain yesterday. Not much snow yet, virtually no route finding. About 6.5 miles and 3,600' of gain. Mt. Hope just across the way would be another good option. 400 or 500 more gain and the east ridge requires a little scrambling whereas Quail's w. ridge doesn't.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Did Oklahoma today - Trailhead is easy to get to assuming you have a vehicle with good clearance. Road was in good shape. There are some route finding issues but I put down a pretty good trench and assuming there isn't any snow up there the next couple days, it should be OK
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like Oklahoma on Monday and Hope Tuesday.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
speedbird1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by speedbird1 »

A hike up Mt. Ouray from the east is delightful, beautiful bristle one pine forest....wild flowers,