Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim

Post by jomagam »

soad wrote:
jomagam wrote:
Have you considered taking a different trail down, like South Kaibab ?
We are staying at the lodge, so I liked the idea of rolling out of bed and starting the run without having to drive. Is S. Kaibab more runable than the Bright Angel? I read that its more scenic, but I'll be running down in the dark so that doesn't matter.
I'd start at 4:45, about 30 mins before sunrise just as it's starting to get light. You do want to enjoy the views ! I did it in June 5 years ago and it I wasn't horribly hot. Even had energy to check out Plateau Point on the way up, and back then I had no experience in trail running, only hiking.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

soad wrote: Is S. Kaibab more runable than the Bright Angel? I read that its more scenic, but I'll be running down in the dark so that doesn't matter.
It is these days, didn't used to be. They've greatly improved the S. Kaibab trail a few years ago; very nicely runnable. Some of the faster folks in our group make it to the river in less than an hour (I take about 1:40, speed walking). The south BA trail is now the worst one w.r.t. ruts, etc. Fine for going up, horrible for down. Don't worry about "missing the views" starting in the dark, the north side is the most beautiful anyway, and you'll see plenty on the south side later in the day. don't forget to take money for the Canteen (store and snack-bar) at Phantom ranch! They are open until 4pm, but don't be late, they close on time. Not sure what time it opens, I'm always by there at 5-6am heading north.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Rob, he's not going to head north.
climbing_rob
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

jomagam wrote:Rob, he's not going to head north.
Woops! Should have read more of the thread, sorry. Still, most of my comment holds, the S. Kaibab is a fine trail for a running descent, and even with an 0-dark-30 start down, plenty of daylight views later in the day, though of course you would miss the S. Kaibab views as already said.
valleygirl
14ers: 42 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by valleygirl »

All I can say is, if you're in a hurry to go R2R2R, avoid going down the South Kaibab trail at all costs because you will be forced to stop and stare at the absolutely incredible views around every turn. Seriously, going down the SK and going up the BA makes a lot of sense. The views on the BA are not as fabulous, but the water and shade at Indian Garden are wonderful.

BTW I have never seen Phantom Ranch crowded - I think it is one of the most charming places in the national park system. I remember coming down from the North Rim and watching the Rim to Rim people running by while I soaked my feet in the river, and I gotta admit I was really glad I was going to have a beer and a steak dinner and a bunk before I went up to the South Rim the next morning. Although I understand the feeling of accomplishment that must come from doing it all in one day, or even more with R2R2R! Wow! Just make sure that someday you go back and really enjoy the canyon at a slower pace, because it is gorgeous.
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
vwaldoguy
Trip Reports (1)

Post by vwaldoguy »

Just stumbled on this thread. Lots of great info here. I'm scheduled for my first R3 run on May 3 next year. Have been thinking about this for awhile, and am getting excited to finally try it. Thanks for sharing your advice everyone. I've currently got a nice Google Doc with all the information that is relevant, with links, etc. Looking forward to it.
anthony156
Trip Reports (2)

Post by anthony156 »

Hey All,

Excellent information. So it turns out I have changed plans entirely since the start of this thread. I went from wanting to do RRR in 3 days to 2 days. I found an awesome hotel at the North Rim, North Rim Lodge that we could hike right to in one day, stay the night and hike back to the South Rim. This would eliminate having to carry any supplies for the night (tents, food, sleeping, water etc.) Then the gov't shutdown hit and they closed this down in October(the weekend I was supposed to go)

I can't stop thinking about the Grand Canyon and was thinking I'll have to go soon otherwise it's gonna be a long Winter(this weekend my Chargers play the Broncos so can't miss PFM)

Wondering if any of you have experience doing this mid November. I would drive out Friday, hike from South Rim to the North Rim on Saturday and setup a campsite on Saturday night, to return on Sunday. I know it will be cold, but wondering if there are any issues/considerations.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson
rlrjamy
14ers: 27 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rlrjamy »

The weather was stellar in the GC last weekend. The forecast for this coming week is also awesome but its starting to get cold and obviously can change fast. A couple of points...the North rim is closed for the season. So you will have to haul your water for Phathom and or filter BA creek. Sometimes the caretaker faucets may have water above cottonwood camp sometimes not. You still need a permit to camp eventhough its closed. If you wait until Dec. 1 that is when the yurt becomes available. A whooping $5 per night plus the permit. Sometimes there is duct tape on the lock. :) :shock:

here is a good source http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/w ... eation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; i haven't read it recently for updates. I have a few friends that live/work at the south rim and I can text them if/when you need realtime info. I may be up there in the next few weeks to bag a few peaks in there. . One more thing, there are dirt roads (to avoid paying the $25 entrance fee) or if you get there early morning(can't remember time) no one mans the booth. Dirt roads also have some good camping if you need more details, I can plot a route for it.
Good luck its a great hike.
JsinDeAZ
14ers: 37  1 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JsinDeAZ »

I do R2R2R on Thanksgiving day. We all give thanks in our own way. This site is good for checking on where water is on and any other updates:

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/t ... osures.htm
-----------------------------
I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

...I love not man the less, but Nature more... - Lord Byron
anthony156
Trip Reports (2)

Post by anthony156 »

rlrjamy wrote: You still need a permit to camp eventhough its closed. If you wait until Dec. 1 that is when the yurt becomes available. A whooping $5 per night plus the permit. Sometimes there is duct tape on the lock. :) :shock:

One more thing, there are dirt roads (to avoid paying the $25 entrance fee) or if you get there early morning(can't remember time) no one mans the booth. Dirt roads also have some good camping if you need more details, I can plot a route for it.
Good luck its a great hike..
Driving around the Grand Canyon on dirt roads to avoid the feds sounds like bootlegging during good ol' prohibition!!! I've never heard of these yurts is there a site for them or is it a show up and get a place to sleep kind of thing?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson
rlrjamy
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rlrjamy »

anthony156 wrote:I've never heard of these yurts is there a site for them or is it a show up and get a place to sleep kind of thing?
You reserve the yurt(if its available) with your permit from the grand canyon backcountry office
Here is a pic of it http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=317607" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WarDamnPanic
Trip Reports (10)

Post by WarDamnPanic »

When do they usually turn the water off at the North Rim and Pumphouse? Is it a specific date or based on temperature?