Snowmass as Spring Snow Climb

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Snowmass as Spring Snow Climb

Post by Tornadoman »

I have been becoming more interested in climbing Snowmass and have been checking out the different route descriptions and trip reports. It looks like it might be safest to attempt this mountain as a snow climb from the east slopes. I have no experience with snow climbing and am curious how difficult this route is? It *looks* relatively straightforward with an ice axe and crampons. Also, how is the avy danger on that route? I was thinking June would probably be the best time to try the route based on the reports I have seen and of course depending on the snow during the year.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Snowmass as Spring Snow Climb

Post by kaiman »

You could certainly do this as an early season climb from Snowmass Lake, many people do. Technically I guess you could call it a snow climb during this time of the year, although you still have scrambling up the Class 3 summit ridge to contend with, which makes it more of a mixed route, unless you make a direct climb to the summit on snow but this section is super steep and melts out a lot sooner than the snowfield below it so you would probably be doing some scrambling.

One of the hardest parts of climbing Snowmass or just hiking to the lake in early season is that Snowmass Creek is deep and fast flowing and the log jam becomes a challenge to cross. It is also a long ways - 21.5 miles round trip so you will be looking at a couple days and some early season camping. The slopes above Snowmass Lake are also definitely an avalanche trap in the wrong conditions.

As it is your first snow climb, I would recommend something shorter and more accessible maybe like Grays and Torreys, Sherman, Lincoln, Democrat, Mount Bierdstadt or or maybe Quandary's standard route (East Ridge) or from the Christo Culiour for something more technical.

Just my 2 cents,

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

kaiman wrote:You could certainly do this as an early season climb from Snowmass Lake, many people do. Technically I guess you could call it a snow climb during this time of the year, although you still have scrambling up the Class 3 summit ridge to contend with, which makes it more of a mixed route, unless you make a direct climb to the summit on snow but this section is super steep and melts out a lot sooner than the snowfield below it so you would probably be doing some scrambling.

kaiman
I guess I would refer to it as a snow climb to me since it would involve crampons/ice axe which would be a new experience for me. I am definitely game for the class 3 climbing part of the route too, I do enjoy scrambling... I guess I think climbing it with more snow could be safer as there will be less loose rock, and it also looks really aesthetically pleasing at that time of year.

[/quote]
kaiman wrote:The slopes above Snowmass Lake are also definitely an avalanche trap in the wrong conditions.
This is definitely my biggest concern. Avalanche concerns aren't something I have studied much beyond the CAIC website, and they scare the crap out of me!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Tornadoman wrote:This is definitely my biggest concern. Avalanche concerns aren't something I have studied much beyond the CAIC website, and they scare the crap out of me!
If you want to do snow climbs, I strongly encourage some avalanche education. Friends of Berthoud Pass offers free awareness/introductory-level classes, and there are countless AIARE Level I courses available in CO through any number of providers.

If you don't get yourself educated, you're gonna have a bad time.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I'm looking to climb Snowmass in the Spring 2014 - probably around mid May area but will wait and see when conditions are ripe.

One concern I had was the bergschrund-like crack that often forms against the ridge - for those who have climbed this in the Spring snow, when generally is this more of an issue to deal with?
DanielL
14ers: 58  11  9 
13ers: 43 1 3
Trip Reports (22)

Post by DanielL »

Tornadoman wrote:I have been becoming more interested in climbing Snowmass and have been checking out the different route descriptions and trip reports. It looks like it might be safest to attempt this mountain as a snow climb from the east slopes. I have no experience with snow climbing and am curious how difficult this route is? It *looks* relatively straightforward with an ice axe and crampons. Also, how is the avy danger on that route? I was thinking June would probably be the best time to try the route based on the reports I have seen and of course depending on the snow during the year.

I've climbed Snowmass once in late August from Lead King Basin. We climbed the S-Ridge and thoroughly enjoyed it! We descended a slightly alternate and more stable version of the West Slope route, descending on the crest of the rib to the north (climber's left) of the main gully. I posted a trip report a few years ago about this climb here: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you're unsure about climbing the standard route in snow, I would recommend either of these routes from LKB, especially the S-Ridge. It's much less distance and a fun way to climb this mountain in dry conditions. I would really like to climb the East route in spring sometime, though...
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Tornadoman wrote:I have been becoming more interested in climbing Snowmass and have been checking out the different route descriptions and trip reports. It looks like it might be safest to attempt this mountain as a snow climb from the east slopes. I have no experience with snow climbing and am curious how difficult this route is? It *looks* relatively straightforward with an ice axe and crampons. Also, how is the avy danger on that route? I was thinking June would probably be the best time to try the route based on the reports I have seen and of course depending on the snow during the year.
I hiked Snowmass from the E in 2007 in mid-June. The steepest parts that I recall are right above the lake and just below the ridge proper (depending on where you access the ridge itself).
Most of the terrain is mellow.
Being your first experience on snow, I don't think it would be a bad climb. I do recommend getting some practice with snow climbing technique and self arrest practice though. As Bean mentioned, getting some training for avalanche awareness of some kind would also be a good idea. But if you don't, I wouldn't go so far as to say you're going to have a "bad time."
If you're climbing Snowmass in late May/early June, snow conditions will typically be "safe" in the early hours of the day if it had a good overnight freeze. Later in the day when it gets warmer/sun effected is when I would be concerned with wet slides.
But back to the overnight freeze......that is when you want some skills and experience for climbing on snow with crampons & axe in hand.

The opinions on the ridge vary, but I found it to be fun and I don't think the rock quality was too scary or bad.

Overall, it's a great route in a beautiful area! Enjoy!
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

It's a great snow climb. Of course, you should have knowledge and a little experience with self arresting with an axe and walking in crampons, but most of the slope doesn't exceed this angle:

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."