Capitol Conditions - Elks in general

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Michael J
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Capitol Conditions - Elks in general

Post by Michael J »

I think the snow is here to stay for the season. Much of it could melt but from here on out you're going to encounter snow at varying levels all over the mountains on all of the Elks. If you are comfortable with unconsolidated snow to climb on for most of the way then go for it. If not then maybe it would be best to wait until next summer.

"I've often heard a voice call down to me
If you'd climb higher you'd find wondrous things to see..."
BAMC25
14ers: 58 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Capitol Conditions - Elks in general

Post by BAMC25 »

Jphebbie2 wrote:Tried castle yesterday. Turned around at about 13,200 as well. Enough snow to cover the scree and not discern the deep holes in the scree field, but not enough to support a snowshoe/crampon climb. the snow is melting very fast though. keep an eye on the weather as its supposed to rain in thr area tonight and tomorrow which could mean more snow up high.
Jphebbie2, can you tell me what the road was like?