Name that Mtn/Rock

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Shogun
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (2)

Name that Mtn/Rock

Post by Shogun »

Can anyone tell me where in CO this formation is? Name? Thanks!

geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Name that Mtn/Rock

Post by geojed »

That looks like the towers over in the West Elks. The Castles http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p ... &z=16&t=t4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From SP.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Yep, they are called The Castles, unranked 12ers, but really cool looking. They come off the ridge to the northeast of West Elk Peak (which is NW of Gunnison).

http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=1742

The other candidate for the original image also could be Turret Ridge, east of Montrose near Courthouse Mountain, a ranked 12er and probably the hardest 12er in Colorado: http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=1544

I actually am more inclined to say Turret Ridge after seeing where treeline is in the OP image vs the Castles...
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
geojed
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

You're probably right there Mike, treeline is a dead give away.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
highcountryhiker
14ers: 27 
13ers: 82
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highcountryhiker »

Looking at the shapes of the formation I think it is The Castles. The SummitPost picture posted by geojed appears to be taken from the opposite direction from the picture posted by the OP.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

That's definately the Castles. Treeline climbs slightly higher on one side, but you can tell by comparing the profile of the rocks.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
geojed
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

If the OP could say where this was taken from that would clear everything up.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

geojed wrote:If the OP could say where this was taken from that would clear everything up.
I'm saying I'm 100% certain that's The Castles. Click this link for another view that shows another view of the treeline: http://snowcatcher.smugmug.com/Lair-of- ... /i-qGCpM4n" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Yup. Definitely the Castles. Absolutely certain. Have a painting of that view hanging in my house. I first hiked Mill Creek back in 1982-ish. Wonderful place.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

http://www.summitpost.org/west-elk-peak/151963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

My guess is from around the Costo lake side. This shot is from the north looking south.