Snowshoeing 14ers

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
stoffey18
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Snowshoeing 14ers

Post by stoffey18 »

I recently moved back to Colorado and I've made a goal for myself to snowshoe some 14ers this winter as I love the cold, winter camping, and hiking. So I figure snowshoeing would be a good idea (and I've done it before so I know I enjoy it.) However I've never done a 14er in the snow but have hiked several 14ers including a couple class threes during the past couple months. So as a snowshoeing beginner when it comes to 14ers, what are some good, beginning 14ers to conquer once the snow has fallen? I'd like the first to just be an up and down, one day affair, however I thoroughly enjoy snow camping so I'd also like suggestion on an overnight adventure.

I couldn't find anything specifically relating to this in my search. I don't ski very well so it'll be up and down on snow shoes if that helps refine your suggestions at all. Thanks so much for your input and I'm really looking forward to the winter season!
tbonesaredelicious
14ers: 49  2  3 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Snowshoeing 14ers

Post by tbonesaredelicious »

Quandary's east ridge would be a pretty safe bet.
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Elbert. East Ridge.
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

stoffey18 wrote:I recently moved back to Colorado and I've made a goal for myself to snowshoe some 14ers this winter as I love the cold, winter camping, and hiking. So I figure snowshoeing would be a good idea (and I've done it before so I know I enjoy it.) However I've never done a 14er in the snow but have hiked several 14ers including a couple class threes during the past couple months. So as a snowshoeing beginner when it comes to 14ers, what are some good, beginning 14ers to conquer once the snow has fallen? I'd like the first to just be an up and down, one day affair, however I thoroughly enjoy snow camping so I'd also like suggestion on an overnight adventure.

I couldn't find anything specifically relating to this in my search. I don't ski very well so it'll be up and down on snow shoes if that helps refine your suggestions at all. Thanks so much for your input and I'm really looking forward to the winter season!
I would consider an avalanche course prior to hitting the snow covered peaks.
The Moose
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by The Moose »

I think these notes are also helpful: I would highly recommend choosing a route with minimal avalanche danger

http://www.summitpost.org/colorado-14er ... ter/337648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now, bring me that horizon!
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Rock-a-Fella wrote: I would consider an avalanche course prior to hitting the snow covered peaks.
+1

Friends of Berthoud Pass: http://berthoudpass.org/category/classes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Colorado Mountain School: http://coloradomountainschool.com/plan-your-trip/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Pikes is a good snowshoe. Before you go, check the cog schedule and time it so that you reach the top while the summit house is open. Then you can go inside to warm up with doughnuts and hot cocoa. Bring cash or a credit card. The Crags Trailhead is usually accessible year-round, and the route is short and gentle enough to allow you to get back out in daylight, if you start early enough.

If you're looking for solitude, or a wilderness experience, then Pikes is not a good choice, obviously.
Turtle Boy
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Turtle Boy »

I agree that that Quandary, the East Ridge is a good winter 14er climb. As you start to climb the ridge, definitely look backwards to note your return point into the trees. Later in the day things can be pretty braided due to skiers.