Conditions on Sneffels

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jjarrard913
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Conditions on Sneffels

Post by jjarrard913 »

Anyone been up Sneffels lately? We're interested in heading down there, but weren't sure if they had any snow. Ideally, we would like to head up the blue lakes side. The most recent trip reports were from Labor Day and the conditions report is from July. Thanks!
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Conditions on Sneffels

Post by jchapell »

We are hoping to go up Monday, weather permitting...
halfdomer
14ers: 34 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by halfdomer »

Like mentioned about being weather permitting, it should be noted there is a storm coming Sunday 9/22 that will likely put snow on many of the peaks tomorrow.
mountain_man
14ers: 38  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountain_man »

Snow was on it this past weekend, but probably melted off it this week. A report I heard said the ground was rock-hard and difficult to traverse.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver
jchapell
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jchapell »

How does 4-8 inches of snow change the Sneffels standard route difficulty? We are still hoping to climb it Monday...the weather looks clear, but there will certainly be new snow. We have microspikes, gaiters, and winter gear, but didn't bring ice axes.

Thanks!
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

jchapell wrote:How does 4-8 inches of snow change the Sneffels standard route difficulty? We are still hoping to climb it Monday...the weather looks clear, but there will certainly be new snow. We have microspikes, gaiters, and winter gear, but didn't bring ice axes.

Thanks!
I climbed it in snow and its not too bad. The first gully is really loose anyway. The only issue I think is getting through the notch if its icy, but again doable. You will just need to turn up the attention a bit. There are some TR's out there talking about the avoiding the notch with some climbing, but my bet is you won't need to worry about it.
Last edited by desertdog on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
jchapell
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jchapell »

Thanks for the quick response! I'm not sure there would be a bough snow for an axe to purchase anyways, but my read is that it's got some sleep slopes.

If anyone else is eyeing an attempt tomorrow (Monday) morning, let me know.
DurangoJenn
14ers: 21 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DurangoJenn »

Here's how Sneffels looked at about 11:30 a.m. this morning before the latest storm came through the area, a couple of quick roadside shots I took on my way back to Durango.
IMG_4179.JPG
IMG_4179.JPG (103.89 KiB) Viewed 502 times
IMG_4180.JPG
IMG_4180.JPG (122.35 KiB) Viewed 502 times
Shawnee Bob
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Shawnee Bob »

Better safe than sorry. You might be right about snow depth, but having an axe strapped to your pack would be a minor inconvenience compared to needing it and not having it.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jjarrard913
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jjarrard913 »

Thank you for the photos, DurangoJenn.

JChapell, be safe out there! Hope you are having an awesome climbing day. We were hoping to head out Wednesday and climb the blue lakes side on Thursday. Any information regarding snow conditions after yesterday's storm are much appreciated! Thanks!
bbutzin
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bbutzin »

Anybody go up Sneffles this past weekend?
dnye
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dnye »

Hopefully someone can update you, I remember seeing pictures of the range on here in the past several days but cannot find them now.