Sandbeach to Meeker advice

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
YEONDERIN
14ers: 50 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (3)

Sandbeach to Meeker advice

Post by YEONDERIN »

Am planning to climb Mt Meeker from camp at Sandbeach Lake and could use any route help from those of you who have done this. My plan was to go up Meeker ridge but all the trip reports and research I find indicate people use the south ridge instead. Why is this when Meeker ridge looks easier? Is it that there is more downed timber getting from lake to Meeker ridge? Or maybe the lower cliffs that are directly between the two? If I go up the south ridge and come down Meeker ridge, which is the best way around the cliffs and back to the lake? Please compare the 2 routes as you remember them. Much thanks.
Life and death are only a breath away, no matter where you are...
Living is only a breath away in the high country !

Being lost is a state on mind not a location of the body...
if you always are where you want to be then you can never get lost.

NEVER GROW OLD.....YOU WILL LIVE TO REGRET IT ! (John Wayne)
flyingmagpie
14ers: 56 
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Sandbeach to Meeker advice

Post by flyingmagpie »

Yeonderin--
Let me first apologize in advance for not being able to answer your question. I have never climbed Meeker by any route from Wild Basin. But I have tried. I tried twice, both as day hikes. I tried going in from Sandbeach Lake, and found a big talus field in the timber wore me out. I tried going in from Hunter's Creek, and the overall length of the approach and marsh-dodging wore me out. I have climbed Meeker twice, both times via the Loft route. The Loft route from Chasm Lake is really the best way to climb Meeker, I found through experience. So let me ask you--is it the camp at Sandbeach or the climb of Meeker that really is the most important to you? If it is the climb of Meeker, I would suggest the Loft route. If it is the camp at Sandbeach, I would suggest an alternate climb. A camp at Sandbeach gives you an especially good shot at Mt. Orton, followed by Chief's Head Peak up the north ridge route. The north ridge route up Chief's Head gives you some dramatic views of the backsides of Longs and Meeker, plus Pagoda and the Keyboard of the Winds most people never see. The south ridge and the Meeker Ridge routes up Meeker, to me, would be pretty long slogs without comparable views. I also tried Meeker's east ridge and got stormed off that before I was successful up the Loft. Going up the Loft, and quickly summitting Meeker, then gives you a chance (depending on weather) at the Clark's Arrow route up Longs, a spectacular route that takes you right under the Palisades. One of my favorites. Good luck with whatever you choose, but Meeker from Wild Basin didn't work like I wanted for me. If you choose that way, I do hope it works for you.
--flyingmagpie
"I've found the truest paths always lead through mountains."

--Kate Wolf, "An Unfinished Life"
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

flyingmagpie wrote:I tried going in from Sandbeach Lake, and found a big talus field in the timber wore me out. I tried going in from Hunter's Creek, and the overall length of the approach and marsh-dodging wore me out.
For the love of god, do not approach Meeker from Sandbeach Lake. I got my ass kicked bushwacking to a high camp last Friday night below Keplingers. Hike down Sandbeach trail to Hunters creek and follow the trail next to the bridge. The Hunters creek trail is quite good. As for the rest of your climb, I have never done Meeker.
YEONDERIN
14ers: 50 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (3)

Post by YEONDERIN »

Thank you for the help and sharing of your experiences. Sounds like there are a lot of other good areas to explore from Sandbeach. If anyone else has something to add to my questions, please do. Meanwhile, back to the drawing board, I’ll figure out something to try.
Life and death are only a breath away, no matter where you are...
Living is only a breath away in the high country !

Being lost is a state on mind not a location of the body...
if you always are where you want to be then you can never get lost.

NEVER GROW OLD.....YOU WILL LIVE TO REGRET IT ! (John Wayne)