how to overcome a fear of heights?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
J-RockandRockpile
Trip Reports (0)

Re: how to overcome a fear of heights?

Post by J-RockandRockpile »

I also suggest you monitor your fuel - i.e. exposure tends to bother me more when I am low on food and my body is already fighting. Put a little something in your stomach and it tends to ease the stress.
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good
Guitarzan
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Guitarzan »

I too have a huge fear of heights. I was always told to continually face those fears and it would get better. Well for me it hasn't but I can usually get through it with focus and deep breaths. Like some others have said focus on what is in front of you and don't look down...... :shock:
"Pain don't hurt."- Patrick Swayze ROAD HOUSE
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

Don't "overcome" it necessarily, that fear can keep you alive.

I have always had a fear of heights. When I was a kid and my grandfather would take me to the North Rim of the Black Canyon, my legs would literally shake and that still can happen to me in some circumstances yet several years ago I was able to free solo the Front Porch and get 600 feet of air under me.

For me it is all about familiarity. I spent my childhood skiing a lot, so chair lifts don't scare me. In the early 90s my sister was into climbing and I thought I could not do it because I was afraid of heights and wearing bright spandex. Around 98 I finally tried top roping and dabbled over the years until I lead my first pitches in maybe 2006. But I am definitely still afraid of heights, it can be almost a physiologic reaction.

I don't like free soloing BTW, I have just done a few times over the years to prepare for other stuff like the Bells traverse.

So that is my answer, familiarity.
mkrier
14ers: 58 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by mkrier »

For me what has helped is:

a. Rock climbing
b. Start w/ small exposure - Work your way up
c. Concentrate only on next move

Exposure bothers most people at least to some degree. Keep putting yourself in places that are just barely outside your comfort zone and work on it.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

This is how I do it :mrgreen:

Century Bound, eventually.
flatlander681
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flatlander681 »

Thanks so much for the advice. I will take it slow, take a break when I see the tough spots coming and put one foot in front of the other and stay focused! I'll post my 2nd attempt outcome next week!
Tigerbear
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 87
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tigerbear »

normal people are afraid of heights!
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel...
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

I joined the Boulder Rock Club (climbing gym) recently and have already noticed a big difference in my handling of heights and exposure. The first time I self-belayed up the rock wall I was shaking and very uncomfortable. It took me a few times to trust that I could hold myself up on tiny hand and foot holds and that the self belay system wouldn't drop me to my death. Now I can do it pretty comfortably and noticed that I was a lot more comfortable scrambling on Mount Shavano's summit ridge this weekend. It makes moving up large rocks seem much safer and easier in comparison.

For starting out, I've found that their shorter bouldering walls help with building confidence in yourself without worrying about the height. Once you feel comfortable with the holds you get the confidence to go up the climbing wall and practice downclimbing as well.
rainydayrenee
14ers: 43  1  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rainydayrenee »

I'm feeling the same way about an upcoming climb of Wetterhorn this weekend - I've only done Long's and Crestone Peak as Class 3 Scrambles and I'm a little nervous about the exposure on Wetterhorn. Can anyone offer some thoughts to calm my nerves? Some of the videos and trip report pictures have me anxiety ridden about it! I know from experience the pictures kinda look worse than it usually is but....nervous!
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I have found that obsessing over pics of the climb can increase your anxiety. Lay off the pics. Always remember, thousands of others have climbed this peak. You can do it.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.