North Ridge of Arrow peak!!!

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ptyrg
14ers: 34  4 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

North Ridge of Arrow peak!!!

Post by ptyrg »

Hi all! I am doing a trip into Vestal basin next week and was wondering if anyone out there, has ever climbed the north ridge of arrow peak (5.6). I have found some beta on the route, but not much. How does it compare to the wham ridge? any route finding problems? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
ptyrg
Trip Reports (0)

Re: North Ridge of Arrow peak!!!

Post by ptyrg »

resubmitting.
BrianWright
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BrianWright »

We attempted in a few weeks ago and got into Vestal Basin but had hell with the weather. Hopefully you have better luck.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." Ernest Hemingway

http://www.coloradomountaineering.com
ptyrg
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ptyrg »

BrianWright wrote:We attempted in a few weeks ago and got into Vestal Basin but had hell with the weather. Hopefully you have better luck.
Thanks Brian, We will give the north ridge of arrow, the north face of west Trinity, and the wham, on Vestal a shot. I hope this weather starts to dry up a bit.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

We were just up there last week. Did Vestal via Wham and Arrow via standard ramp, but a couple of us were eye f***ing the N Ridge (at least I know I was). It looks fairly comparable to Wham for the most part...maybe a bit more slabby/cruxy, but rock on both is AMAZING so I would guess there is still tons of pro available and route finding should be reasonable. Aesthetic for sure. Looking forward to hearing how it goes!!! TR with pics or it didn't happen :wink:
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
Mick
14ers: 42 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mick »

A partner and I did the north ridge of Arrow a couple of years ago, followed by the standard line on Wham Ridge the next day. By way of comparison, I thought the rock on the north ridge of Arrow was less enjoyable. It was solid, but less grippy - more smooth and slick.

As far as route finding, it was pretty straightforward for the fifth class section of the climb, but we ran into some difficulties by staying directly on the ridge after that. Based on the Roach description, we had expected no more than class 3, but we found ourselves in some tricky 4th and low 5th class sections. I don't know if we should have somehow left the ridge proper after the 5th class section to avoid this - didn't seem like there was a simple way to do that, though. After some 3rd class climbing on climber's left of the ridge, we gained the ridge again, and finally skirted the main difficulties by taking a small ramp on climber's right of the ridge that traversed and dropped down from the ridge itself, then reascended to the ridge on loose 4th class. I tried to to reascend to the ridge itself too soon initially (and found no route on either side of the ridge at that point), so had to drop back down, continue farther on, and gain the ridge again. At that point, it was class 3 for a short section to where we intersected with the standard route.

I have to assume there is a better way to finish this route up, but it wasn't obvious to us. I was tempted to call Southwest Adventure Guides in Durango after the climb to see if I could chat with someone there, but then never got around to it. It might be worth trying that before you go.

If you get a chance to do the route, please post a TR or short summary! I'd be really curious to see if you have better luck with the end of the route than we did.
ptyrg
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ptyrg »

thanks for the Info Mike! I may do that, give them a call,and see if they can give me there route beta.

Thanks again!