Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Post by globreal »

Paying tribute…
Mr. Mathews and family
Mr. Mathews and family
DSC00290_edited.jpg (103 KiB) Viewed 5391 times
Dorthy (Mountain Hikerette) & Ian (Mountain Hiker)
Dorthy (Mountain Hikerette) & Ian (Mountain Hiker)
DSC00292_edited.jpg (104.11 KiB) Viewed 5391 times
Theresa & Neal (former Barr Camp hosts)
Theresa & Neal (former Barr Camp hosts)
DSC00300_edited.jpg (98.73 KiB) Viewed 5391 times
globreal
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Two more…
A good turn out
A good turn out
DSC00304_edited.jpg (77.56 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
Climbing buddies
Climbing buddies
DSC00288_edited.jpg (101.6 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Thank you to the Mathews family for sharing Terry's memorial with us. It was good to see so many from the 14ers.com community turn out at this hard time.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
Robzilla
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Robzilla »

I haven't been here in a while, and haven't been much of a hiker lately either. I signed on just out of anticipation of an upcoming trip and was saddened to see this. I never met Terry, never even spoke with him or emailed him, but like a lot of others here who'd never met him personally regarded him pretty highly from his posts. I remember his efforts to reach out to the loved ones of the firefighter from NY last year, it was amazing to see someone be touched so deeply by the feeling of loss from people he'd never met. I feel that same loss for him right now and want to offer my condolences. He seemed like a pretty amazing guy. I always enjoyed reading whatever was next to that smiling face.

I don't know what to say except that I have great respect for him and hope that he found peace.
oddharmonic
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oddharmonic »

Professional photos of the celebration of life are available both in a Facebook gallery and on the photographer's website:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 605&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://markhayesphotography.instaproofs ... ?id=860123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The turnout was amazing. Thanks to everyone that attended - and everyone that was there in spirit.

Regards,
Melissa
globreal
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

oddharmonic wrote:Professional photos of the celebration of life are available both in a Facebook gallery and on the photographer's website:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 605&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://markhayesphotography.instaproofs ... ?id=860123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The turnout was amazing. Thanks to everyone that attended - and everyone that was there in spirit.

Regards,
Melissa
Melissa, there are some nice pictures in there from that memorial.
Mark Hayes, excellent work!
Wonderful memorial.

Here is a photo from last Thursday, Aug. 01 on the summit of Vestal Peak where doggler is holding one of the photo cards of Terry... to honor him.
Tribute from Vestal
Tribute from Vestal
DSC00419_edited.jpg (81.57 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
Louis Mathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Louis Mathews »

Thank you guys.
Last edited by Louis Mathews on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louis Mathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Louis Mathews »

I received a letter today a letter today about 3 lives that were saved as a result of Terry's organ donation.

Here is the Face Book link where I posted it. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... tif_t=like" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I saved it in a pdf file but haven't figured how to post it here.
Louis W Mathews
globreal
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Louis Mathews wrote:I received a letter today a letter today about 3 lives that were saved as a result of Terry's organ donation.

Here is the Face Book link where I posted it. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... tif_t=like" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I saved it in a pdf file but haven't figured how to post it here.
Wow Lou…reading about the lives saved brought tears to my eyes!

Thanks for sharing!
Britt
Louis Mathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Louis Mathews »

Same for me along with a sense of pride. I wish the ones saved someday will know what a great guy he was and how loved and respected by 100's.
susanjoypaul
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Thanks for sharing, Louis. I've had a little red "donor heart" sticker on my license as long as I can remember, and it's good to be reminded why I say "yes" every time I get a new one, and the people at the DMV ask if I would like to be an organ donor.

Terry was one of the most generous people I ever met, and even in death, his generosity continues to enrich the lives of others. What a legacy.
MountainHiker
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Lou, thank you for posting this. It's wonderful to hear about the actual people saved by Terry's organ donation.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert