Gladbach Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Gladbach Peak

Post by djkest »

I was reading Terry Matthew's last blog entry (RIP, Terry) and I had a thought. Terry suggested that a mountain might be named in memory of Steve Gladbach. We know there are plenty of great, unnamed peaks in Colorado. Think we could find a good one, and then propose and support such an endeavor? I know it COULD be done, if it had enough support. We might be able to get some politicians to help us in our cause as well, if need be- Mark Udall comes to mind.

Gladbach Peak or Gladbach Point both sound good to me.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Gladbach Peak

Post by MountainHiker »

Sen Udall recently lost a brother in the backcountry:
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/body- ... yoming.php
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

If I'm not mistaken, the USGS controls the naming of the peaks. I am not sure what all is involved in the process, but I think it takes a lot of work. A little digging brought me to this article:

http://geology.utah.gov/surveynotes/gla ... untain.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Good luck finding an unnamed peak in a non-wilderness area. Could take a bit of searching.
Also, names proposed for features in wilderness areas are not approved, unless needed for purposes of safety, education, or area administration.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
mike offerman
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mike offerman »

here is the US Board on Geographic Names policy

http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/policies.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

mike offerman wrote:here is the US Board on Geographic Names policy

http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/policies.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow - thanks.

Lots of rules there =)

Maybe an un-official name would be easier.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Good luck finding an unnamed peak in a non-wilderness area. Could take a bit of searching.
There are actually hundreds of those. Ranges that aren't that high and don't contain mining histories typically have many un-named peaks.

1/3 of the 10,000+ feet mountains in the Elkhead Mountains (example used just because it is out my front window, many other ranges are similar in this manner), for example, don't have names (the ones in quotations, plus one of the Meadens):

http://www.summitpost.org/elkhead-mount ... nce/184005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Southern Sawatch also comes to mind - there are several unnamed 13ers outside of the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness area.
Yes, but also consider that a lot (but not all) of those have unofficial names already printed in guidebooks or local names.

Best to pick one that doesn't yet.

PS,

You'd be surprised how many unofficial names eventually appear on government maps and websites (and NG maps, etc.), once they are published on websites and in guidebooks and become well used names.

Even if they are not official by the Board of Geographic Names, eventually many features become known as such.
Last edited by Scott P on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

anna wrote:
Southern Sawatch also comes to mind - there are several unnamed 13ers outside of the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness area.

Oh, I know they exist :wink: I've summited a few, I'm sure. But easily finding an unnamed 13er outside of wilderness offhand... let alone an awesome peak, will be more tricky.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Dezelrig
14ers: 37  1  2 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Dezelrig »

We could just start calling "lackawanna" Gladbach Mt. That way people 'wouldwanna' go climb it. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

I love the idea of naming a peak after Steve. If anyone in recent mountaineering history deserved one in Colorado, it would be Steve. A very fitting memorial to a giant in the mountaineering community.

Although as impressive and awesome as that would be, I had an interesting thought:

Steve was always known for how humble he was. I didn't know Steve that well, but it seems like from the time I spent with him that I am not sure he would have liked that idea. I'd be curious to hear thoughts from friends who knew him much better like globreal, Keifer, etc. Maybe he was asked about it at some point and told someone?
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

ACERyGuy007 wrote: Steve was always known for how humble he was. I didn't know Steve that well, but it seems like from the time I spent with him that I am not sure he would have liked that idea. I'd be curious to hear thoughts from friends who knew him much better like globreal, Keifer, etc. Maybe he was asked about it at some point and told someone?
You've asked the right question, except extend it out to his family first and then his best friends. They should be ones to lead the effort, if desired at all.