Nicest Front Range 13er

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Nicest Front Range 13er

Post by PaliKona »

wanted to resurrect this thread. Are there other suggestions, esp. in the Clear Creek area? How's Pettingell?
Navigaiter
14ers: 46 
13ers: 49
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Navigaiter »

I need to throw in a vote for Kelso Mountain. Despite countless climbs of Grays and Torreys via various routes over the last 13 years, I just climbed it for the first time last weekend. We did it after a climb of Kelso ridge. I have to say that the views of Grays and Torreys were spectacular. And the beginning of the ridge from the Kelso/Torreys saddle is fun 2+ and can be made fun 3rd.

Torreys from Kelso Mountain
Attachments
GraysTorreysPano.jpg
GraysTorreysPano.jpg (237.21 KiB) Viewed 977 times
Hacksaw
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hacksaw »

Doug Shaw wrote:
screefieldstevie wrote:I keep seeing the Citadel name...........is that the same mountain some call "Mt. Snoopy"??????????
I've never heard anybody call it that, and any self-respecting person should never let themselves be caught even uttering the phrase "Mount Snoopy" - that just sounds silly.

But from the right vantage, The Citadel is said to look like Snoopy lying on his doghouse.
Actually, Loveland locals are known to call it "Snoop." 8)
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."
Kapelmuur
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kapelmuur »

Have only a few 13ers under my belt but would have to rate North Arapaho better than most of the 14ers I have climbed so far. Beautiful approach, fun class 3 traverse...pretty much everything you could want from a day in the mountains without a ton of driving.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Kapelmuur wrote:Have only a few 13ers under my belt but would have to rate North Arapaho better than most of the 14ers I have climbed so far. Beautiful approach, fun class 3 traverse...pretty much everything you could want from a day in the mountains without a ton of driving.
N Arapaho is my favorite of the Front Range 13ers I've done. Honorable mention to Meeker and Chiefs Head. Looking forward to trying Navajo, McHenrys, and Alice.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Was just up on Grizzly D yesterday and have to throw a vote in for that. The ridge run from Loveland Pass is great, even though it's tough on the way back. The views from Grizzly are fantastic, as is the ridge over to Lenawee. I didn't go far on it as I was solo, but I enjoyed getting a good look at it from the north end and was impressed. Maybe a skier/rider can confirm - the entry to s**t for brains couloir is on that gnarled ridge correct? Pretty sick.
rainydayrenee
14ers: 43  1  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rainydayrenee »

I really enjoyed S. Arapahoe peak. Have done Chiquita in RMNP but have been meaning to do the combo Chapin, Chiquitia, and Ypsilon. Also thought Shoshoni peak in IPW is beautiful!!!!
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

PaliKona wrote:wanted to resurrect this thread. Are there other suggestions, esp. in the Clear Creek area? How's Pettingell?
Lots of pleasant hikes on Front Range thirteeners. Pettingell is a good one, nice somewhat long hike up to Herman Lake at 12,000', then it's a quick walk up to Pettingell. Santa Fe and Geneva are a nice easy day with good views of Grays and Torreys. James Peak is another nice hike, seems like a lot of people do it from St. Mary's snowfield, but can also be done from Loch Lomond (that name just doesn't seem to fit in the Colorado Rockies).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Danny504
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Danny504 »

awilbur77 wrote:
PaliKona wrote:wanted to resurrect this thread. Are there other suggestions, esp. in the Clear Creek area? How's Pettingell?
I loved Pettingell, but I also climbed in winter so it may just be a different experience in the winter. I am not sure of the trail conditions in the summer, but I imagine them to be pretty awesome. In the winter I was the only person on the mountain the entire day, solitude at it's finest with a very short drive from town.
Did Pettingell East Ridge on Monday. Was more fun than I expected.. The grassy/scree slope up to the ridge sucked but the ridge itself was great. Add the short distance and lunch afterwards in Idaho Springs. Makes a great day.
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

The only 3 13ers I need to comple the Grays group are Grizzly, Lenawee and Kelso. Hiking these peaks has completely changed the way I view hiking and climbing. The views from Wilcox are phenomenal. Ruby has a fun but of scrambling and the basin below is spectacular. Lenawee from Chihuahua is next on the list.
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

I would think a loop hike up Grizzly from A Basin (if possible), then over to Lenawee would be sweet.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

pagoda from wild basin is stupid beautiful.