Herman's Gulch to Loveland Pass via the traverse

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mike offerman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Herman's Gulch to Loveland Pass via the traverse

Post by mike offerman »

There is a 5.4 climb on the North ridge of The Citadel that you will have to do.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

And if you didn't want to do the 5.4, you could drop down to Herman Lake after topping out on Pettingel and then go back up for The Citadel. I also seem to recall that someone posted an alternative to the 5.4 by going around to the climber's right (west) and looping back up The Citadel.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

http://www.summitpost.org/the-citadel/785000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No, there is at least one Class 3 route on that peak. You can totally avoid any technical difficulties at all climbing that peak.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Jay521
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Presto is right (as she always is!) I did a TR on The Citadel some time back and others have as well. The Class 3 route is pretty straight forward and would be your downclimb to go to Hagar if you choose to do the Pettingel/Citadel traverse which ends in that 5.4
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

How big is that 5.4 climb on The Citadel?
Ragin Cajun
Jay521
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

boudreaux wrote:How big is that 5.4 climb on The Citadel?
Here are a couple TR's that show it...

Going up...
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=8814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And going down...
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=4843" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

OK. I'll say it.

It's Herman Gulch.

It's not Herman's Munster, right. It's Herman Munster.

Herman, as in PeeWee, Maier, and Miller.
please rotate your device
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

dcarpentgina wrote:Wow! That's really helpful!
I am here to serve.
please rotate your device