Gore conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Re: Gore conditions?

Post by jbchalk »

Ripsaw Ridge from Red & White Mtn last Thursday night. Ridge itself is likely snow-free. Peak C's southwest couloir looks to be snow-filled for the most part.
IMG_6541.JPG
IMG_6541.JPG (167.53 KiB) Viewed 704 times
k-berger
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 30 8 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by k-berger »

Anyone been in the Pitkin Lake area recently? Going camping up there this weekend and curious if the lake is still frozen and if there is still snow on the trail.

Thanks!
ekviatnie
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekviatnie »

No ice on Pitkin lake. No snow on trail.
Grover
14ers: 58  10  3 
13ers: 143 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Grover »

I camped at Booth Lake this weekend. The West Ridge of West Partner Peak is still holding snow. I just posted a conditions report, with photos. The South Ridge of West Partner Peak was clear.

The Spider and The Fly looked clear on their respective upper ridges. Just some small pockets of snow on The Fly seen from Booth Lake. The other peaks in that area seem to be clear. Peak Q was clear from my vantage point on the summit of West Partner Peak. The basin for Upper Slate Lake looks uber marshy! #Wetlands

FYI - It is monsoon season! It rained on me several times, and it did not matter if it was 1:00 am or 1:00 pm. Friday was a total washout, and I was unable to go up The Fly/The Spider. The weather held enough on Saturday for me to make a successful bid for West Partner Peak.
-Grover
Kevo
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Kevo »

I backpacked into Upper Cataract Lake for the weekend with the intention of heading on up to Meridian Peak, but bailed out early due to an unbelievable amount of mosquitoes.

I've spent time in many mosquito hot spots- interior and coastal Alaska, the Wind River Range, jungles in SE Asia, the Powderhorn in monsoon season, etc but this was my worst encounter with mosquitoes in recent memory, definitely top 3 for me all time. My girlfriend, my dog and I all have hundreds of bites. It was basically impossible to eat food without ingesting several mosquitoes into your mouth just by opening it.

I've made a mental note not to return to the Eagles Nest Wilderness (it should be called the Mosquito Nest Wilderness) unless it is below freezing at night.

On another note, late Friday night at 2am or so a major storm just missed the drainage we were in. There was a 2 hour lightning show that was impressive- there were easily more than 100 strikes/minute for quite some time. It is definitely monsoon season.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Yeah, the mosquitos up at Upper Cataract were pretty bad. Comparable to what I've experienced in the Boundary Waters of Minnesota which is an area notorious for it's mosquitos. It definitely put a damper on the trip. Instead of sitting around camp we were in the tent reading...

That storm Friday was awesome to watch.. looked like it was at least 5-10 miles to the North. I counted one strike about 3-4 miles away, but mostly didn't even hear the thunder from the strikes. What concerned me more was the crazy wind. With all the beetle kill and the super high winds, I was concerned there was going to be some trees falling! Didn't get much sleep that night!
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski