Fremont Peak ~ Wind Rivers

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
caad4rep
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (1)

Fremont Peak ~ Wind Rivers

Post by caad4rep »

Just wondering if anyone here has climbed Fremont Peak up in the Wind Rivers? I'm coming from MN and have been planning on doing the Crestones in a few weeks but while searching for a Plan B due to fires I've stumbled upon the Wind River range. They look spectacular! I'm particularly curious about Fremont peak and possibly some other nearby peaks that could be done from the same camp. Fremont looks like an awesome Class 3 climb, is the climb similar to any of the class 3/4 14ers?

From what I've read it looks like Indian basis is the best spot to set up a base camp, if I do a two day approach where would a good spot be for camp 1?

Any other tips or ideas? Is it as cool as the pictures make it look?

Does anyone know what the current snow conditions are like? Would it be doable in a couple weeks without an axe and crampons?
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Fremont Peak ~ Wind Rivers

Post by rijaca »

caad4rep wrote: Just wondering if anyone here has climbed Fremont Peak up in the Wind Rivers? I'm coming from MN and have been planning on doing the Crestones in a few weeks but while searching for a Plan B due to fires I've stumbled upon the Wind River range. They look spectacular! I'm particularly curious about Fremont peak and possibly some other nearby peaks that could be done from the same camp. Fremont looks like an awesome Class 3 climb, is the climb similar to any of the class 3/4 14ers?
Yes. Yes, class 3. Jackson Peak can be done from the same camp.
caad4rep wrote: From what I've read it looks like Indian basis is the best spot to set up a base camp, if I do a two day approach where would a good spot be for camp 1?
Seneca Lake. Near the south end (about .5 mile off the trail).
caad4rep wrote: Any other tips or ideas? Is it as cool as the pictures make it look?
Bring fishing rods, lots of mosquito repellent. Yes.
caad4rep wrote: Does anyone know what the current snow conditions are like? Would it be doable in a couple weeks without an axe and crampons?
Don't know.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

Yes, in fact my dog is named after Fremont Peak (he's a rescue pup from Wyoming). I've done it from the north from the Sacagawea Glaicer as a moderate snow climb, 'twas super fun. You can also get it from Titcomb Lakes on the west side as a class 3 walk up. Really nice peak and I love the Winds.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

It certainly is as cool as the pictures make it look. List of John is showing 5 ft of snow up high in the Winds. Definitely bring an axe and I would personally bring crampons although I haven't been up Fremont. The mountains are just too big and too remote to take any chances.

There are great camping spots all along the way. We had a good location near the end of a box canyon right before reaching Seneca lake. The surrounding walls provided decent protection from the elements. Seneca Lake is a reasonable distance from Elkhart.
Attachments
Winds in May
Winds in May
Winds.jpg (144.7 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
caad4rep
Trip Reports (1)

Post by caad4rep »

Thanks for all the feedback! I need to do a little research on the conditions, I'm not sure that my climbing partner will be up to doing snow work... Looks like an awesome place that I definitely need to get to.
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

caad4rep wrote:From what I've read it looks like Indian basis is the best spot to set up a base camp, if I do a two day approach where would a good spot be for camp 1?
Can't go wrong there. Fremont Peak is a super fun climb and spectacularly scenic. I camped at Island Lake the first night:
569084.jpg
569084.jpg (63.27 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
Then to Indian Basin:
img_1113.jpg
img_1113.jpg (237.73 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
After the slog to the saddle that connects Indian and Titcomb Basins, the rock on Fremont is excellent. (note the climber on the horizon):
img_1148.jpg
img_1148.jpg (254.37 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
Have fun in the Winds!
-km
caad4rep
Trip Reports (1)

Post by caad4rep »

Awesome shots Kent! What time of year were you out there?
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

caad4rep wrote:Awesome shots Kent! What time of year were you out there?
Late August. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I have a lot more photos of the area if you're interested.
-km