Gore conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Gore conditions?

Post by JeffR »

Thinking about Valhalla/Snow soon. Anyone been up there or anywhere nearby lately? Thanks.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
Aug_Dog
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Gore conditions?

Post by Aug_Dog »

I'd also love some beta
jeremy27
14ers: 36  3 
13ers: 67 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeremy27 »

I climbed Red Peak on Saturday. Here is my best guess: We hit snow around treeline and did a little postholing but it firmed up nicely overnight. I expect less snow on that side of the range except where there is dense forest cover. Most ridges and slopes above treeline looked generally snow-free. I've never climbed Snow or Vahalla but I'd take gaiters for sure and an axe in case you need to cross a snowfield - there were plenty around. I probably have pics of the east-side of Snow/Vahalla if you think that will help. PM me if you are interested.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

any pics from Red Peak looking north?
jeremy27
14ers: 36  3 
13ers: 67 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeremy27 »

PaliKona wrote:any pics from Red Peak looking north?
Highly likely. I take a ton of pics. I'll look tonight.
Aug_Dog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

If you could post some pics that would be GREAT!
ATOMEMT
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ATOMEMT »

Taken yesterday 6.24
Sorry for the poor res
Attachments
GORE RANGE 7.3.jpg
GORE RANGE 7.3.jpg (185.12 KiB) Viewed 990 times
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Nice picture, that was my favorite view when I lived in Vail in the early 90's

I think Kevin Baker has a TR in here somewhere on these two peaks?
Ragin Cajun
Steve Gio
14ers: 19 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve Gio »

So thinking about backpacking the Gore range trail from Copper to Wildernest. Going over Uneva Pass and Ecless Pass. Doable for the 5 July weekend or postholing hell?
ekviatnie
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekviatnie »

I live in Vail. The snow has receded significantly in the Gore this week- it was 90 in Vail on Thursday and Friday- YUCK! There is a whee bit of snow still hidden at 11000+ beneath shaded trees, in some of the above tree-line basins, and in a few colouirs. Anything exposed to the sun is dry. As for Snow Peak and Valhalla, it will be dry on the Deluge Lake trail to Deluge Lake. Around Deluge Lake there will be some snow-filled basins, but you can cross these easily without any flotation or traction. Once climbing above the lower basin, you will find spots of snow in a colouir or underneath a rock, but nothing that will necessitate an ax or crampons.

As for Red Peak, I climbed Rain Peak three weeks ago from the Mesa Cortina -> Gore Range Trail -> Salmon Lake trail. Red Peak had snow in colouirs, but the summit ridge looked mostly clear. For sure there were some cornices, but the ridge is wide enough that they could be avoided. Again, this was three weeks ago and it has been BLOODY hot so there will be even less snow now.

Your major problem in the Gore will be thunderstorms. Our monsoon season appears to have started in that the past few days have had afternoon thunderstorms and they are predicted to continue this week.
JeffR
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

Thanks for the info, ekviatnie.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
ekviatnie
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekviatnie »

I hiked-up Bald Mountain yesterday and assessed Valhalla and Snow Peaks for you. Both are 99pc free of snow. The basin between Snow and Valhalla is now entirely melted. I tried taking pictures, but with the smoke from the south, pollen from the pine trees, and the poor lighting- my pictures did not turn out.

Again, our thunderstorms are starting about 1300. It got cloudy yesterday at 1130 and started raining about 1300.