Mt Elbert-(Standard)NW Ridge or East Ridge

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Mt Elbert-(Standard)NW Ridge or East Ridge

Post by bigredmachine »

I've talked a couple of friends into doing a night hike up Elbert and was hoping to get some advice into the recommended trail. Both are rated class 1 but after reading some trail reports it looks like the NW ridge gets pretty rocky at the top???Is it anything to be concerned with in the dark? is the east ridge less rocky? Also, we are hoping to catch the sunrise and then head down, is one route more scenic than the other for an early morning hike down?

I would guess that both are awesome, but I took them on La Plata's southwest slope last year (their first 14er), it was a little more than they had bargained for and I want to make sure they have more fun on this trip. Thanks in advance
Adventure Seeker
14ers: 15 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt Elbert-(Standard)NW Ridge or East Ridge

Post by Adventure Seeker »

The east ridge is not rocky at all. There is a trail all the way to the top. I actually find that route very enjoyable. You also have 600 feet and a mile less of climbing, if that makes a difference.