Quandry's North Couloir

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tsizz
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Quandry's North Couloir

Post by tsizz »

Ok, ok, I know ski season is supposed to be over, but I have one day, maybe two, to try and make some turns. Anyone know if Quandry's north couloir is in? Even a little bit? Thought about Bald Mtn near Breck as well (that's the area I'm in this weekend). I know tuning fork and democrat look good, but I've already skied those. It doesn't have to go from the summit, I just want to make a few turns. Looking at Saturday (6/22), maybe Sunday. Thanks!
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Quandry's North Couloir

Post by jaymz »

I've got pics of Quandary's north side from Father Dyer this past Monday. As soon as I get to my computer tonight I can upload those, but everything on that side was looking pretty thin.
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by powhound »

3 options near Breck...

Baldy. Measure 8.25 miles from the intersection of Hwy 9 and Boreas Pass Rd in Breck. Park on the right, just before the stream. Hike up on the left side of stream for a half hour to the snow. I've heard this called "Powerline" or "McBride's patch". At least 1,000 verts that gets you close to the summit ridge, so you might as well summit Baldy. Pic is from last Saturday. I climbed/glissaded it...not skied, but I saw about 7 people skiing and it looked fun.
Baldy.JPG
Boreas. Start from same intersection. Measure 10.7 miles. It's on the other side of the pass. A small gentle snowfield that comes right down to the road. No hiking to get there. I did a Fathers Day ski last Sunday with the whole fam. It's only about 300 verts, but we lapped it 5 times in between storms. Great time!
Boreas.JPG
Drift Pk. NW Bowl. It's closer to Copper than Breck. See my recent conditions report and TH report for Mayflower Gulch.

Have fun!
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

On second look, there may still be some options left. I'm no ski mountaineer, so don't trust my judgment, but here's a pic of Quandary's north couloirs:
EDIT: Again, this was on Monday the 17th. Not sure how it looks now after a warm week.
Attachments
Quandary from Father Dyer.jpg
Quandary from Father Dyer.jpg (320.12 KiB) Viewed 199 times
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir