Maps for Lost River Range Idaho

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Maps for Lost River Range Idaho

Post by kaiman »

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has any leads on maps for Borah Peak and other mountains in the Lost River Range of Idaho. I am hoping that there might be a descent map of the area without getting all of the USGS quads but my web searches have turned up little info.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

kaiman
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Maps for Lost River Range Idaho

Post by Kent McLemore »

I didn't look, but if there is a map of the LRR these folks would have it. http://www.omnimap.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exploring Idaho's Mountains by Tom Lopez (Mountaineers Press) has a substantial section on the Lost River Range.
-km
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Kent McLemore wrote:I didn't look, but if there is a map of the LRR these folks would have it. http://www.omnimap.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exploring Idaho's Mountains by Tom Lopez (Mountaineers Press) has a substantial section on the Lost River Range.
Thanks for the info Kent. I have used omnimap.com in the past for maps so I will check with them and see what is available. Have you used the Tom Lopez book at all? Does it have descent maps in it? Summitpost.org will probably be my information source for route info.

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

We use CalTopo.com for our maps now. That is one fantastic+free web application. THANK YOU MATT JACOBS!

We will be heading up to Diamond and Borah starting on July 2nd. Let us know if you will be in that vicinity during that time. Borah is an amazing mountain and quite fun with the 3rd-class scramble along the ridge. The only downside is that it is swarmed with people during the summer months; a map is unnecessary if you are planning on the standard route. Such is the curse of being a state highpoint.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

spiderman wrote:We use CalTopo.com for our maps now. That is one fantastic+free web application. THANK YOU MATT JACOBS!

We will be heading up to Diamond and Borah starting on July 2nd. Let us know if you will be in that vicinity during that time. Borah is an amazing mountain and quite fun with the 3rd-class scramble along the ridge. The only downside is that it is swarmed with people during the summer months; a map is unnecessary if you are planning on the standard route. Such is the curse of being a state highpoint.
Thanks for the invite but I probably won't be in the area until late July or August. While Borah is top on my priority list, I am interested in climbing 3-4 other peaks in the range as well. I usually try to climb as many peaks as I can whenever I'm in a given area, hence my need for a map(s).

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Definitely worth bagging a couple of peaks while you are in that area. At least the 12er list is quite short for that state.
MTGOAT72
14ers: 22 
13ers: 50
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MTGOAT72 »

go to http://www.idahosummits.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They will steer you in the right direction. Let me know if you have any additional questions on the area, I'm from Idaho and have climbed quite a few peaks in the LRR.
MTGOAT72
14ers: 22 
13ers: 50
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MTGOAT72 »

kaiman wrote:
Kent McLemore wrote:I didn't look, but if there is a map of the LRR these folks would have it. http://www.omnimap.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the info Kent. I have used omnimap.com in the past for maps so I will check with them and see what is available. Have you used the Tom Lopez book at all? Does it have descent maps in it? Summitpost.org will probably be my information source for route info.

kaiman
I have the "Orange Bible" as they call it. It is more of a route guide, the maps inside cover large areas. But Tom Lopez is a frequent poster on the Idaho Summits website, and he is always glad to help.
ewaag23
14ers: 29  4 
13ers: 21 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ewaag23 »

MTGOAT72 wrote:
kaiman wrote: Exploring Idaho's Mountains by Tom Lopez (Mountaineers Press) has a substantial section on the Lost River Range.
+1. Highly recommended book.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Thanks for the info everyone, I will check out the Lopez book.

Cheers!

kaiman