Wilsons Condition Update

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Wilsons Condition Update

Post by dubsho3000 »

Hello-

I'm looking for some current info on the wilsons - planning on backpacking into Navajo Lake, climbing the North Buttress on El Diente, traversing to Mt Wilson and descending Mt Wilson's standard route. Then I'll go for Wilson Peak the next day. If anyone goes this weekend, could you hook a brother up? The recent trip report and conditions report will be a little outdated by the time I get there, I imagine.

Thanks,

Matt
Tim Jordan
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wilsons Condition Update

Post by Tim Jordan »

I did Mt. Wilson last Saturday. Put on crampons for one section of snow going up to Rock of Ages saddle in the early morning. Other than than that I was able to just kick steps on the snowy sections leading up to the summit.
zephyr_pelicante
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (34)

Post by zephyr_pelicante »

Thanks for the update, do you have any info on the traverse? I'm guessing ice axe mandatory?
Tim Jordan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tim Jordan »

I didn't do the traverse.
Tim Jordan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tim Jordan »

Pic from Saturday, June 8
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Justin9 »

Bump. Wondering if anyone was up at or near the Wilson group this weekend that can report on condition.
ETA
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by ETA »

I Climbed Wilson Peak from ROA trailhead on Saturday 6/15/2013, (edit) I carried crampons and used them for 150' near the ROA saddle, you could have avoided the need by climbing rocks or gone with track shoes. There is absolutely no need for flotation, I'm 215+ without pack so judge for yourself.
06152013-Wilson Peak-3 (640x480).jpg
06152013-Wilson Peak-3 (640x480).jpg (222.57 KiB) Viewed 954 times
This is the view towards El Diente & Mt. Wilson, my opinion from recent report photos is that the snow is melting is quickly.
06152013-ElDiente-Mt. Wilson (640x429).jpg
06152013-ElDiente-Mt. Wilson (640x429).jpg (234 KiB) Viewed 954 times
Another 14's member ran me down during the climb, nice hiking with you Mike. I look forward to crossing paths again, and possibly keeping up with you on the climb. For those parking overnight at the trailhead the porcupines are working graveyard shifts. Thanks to everyone that opened up this trailhead, let's respect the private property surrounding the area. Thanks to the recent trip reports as well, great information. I would be remiss if I didn't give a shout out to Bill Middlebrook, Thanks Bill.
3 or 4 miles, can't be much further than that.
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Justin9 »

ETA, thanks for the helpful info and congrats on your summit.
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

Yes, thanks all for the updates. Has anyone hiked to Navajo Lake recently? Just seeking confirmation that it will be snow-free to the lake. Looks to be the case.

Thanks,

Matt
macgyver
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 123
Trip Reports (0)

Post by macgyver »

zephyr_pelicante wrote:Thanks for the update, do you have any info on the traverse? I'm guessing ice axe mandatory?
I'll be down there early next week. Any info on the El D > Wil traverse would be awesome!
-MacG
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Billy the Kid »

Hey everyone,

I also started a new thread in Climbing Connections, but figured I'd leave a note here too. I am looking to do Wilson Peak this Saturday (6/22) and would love to find a few folks who would like to join! It looks like this route is almost snow-free! My plan is to start from the Rock of Ages/Silver Pick trailhead early in the morning. Please let me know if you would be intersted!

Thanks!
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott
Winslovian
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Winslovian »

We climbed Wilson Peak and Mt. Wilson from Navajo Lake on Sunday and Monday (6/16-6/17). No snow on the way up to Navajo Lake. Great trail but long and arduous. There's a small snow field on the talus field up into the basin above the lake but doable in the early morning by kicking in.

Saw lots of snow on the Silver Pick side of ROA saddle on way to Wilson Peak. Talked to two climbers who came up from that side; one stuck to the trail and the other came directly up a snowfield to the saddle without any problems. From the saddle traverse over to the small saddle at 13,200, no problems and from there to Wilson Peak, no snow problems at all.

Mt. Wilson was much tougher on us. Couldn't kick in to cross the snowfield at 13,500 (or so) to traverse across the rock ribs. Too dangerous (for me) even with a ice ax. So we ascended to the top of the first major long snow field, shimmied around a large bolder at the very top (glad the snow was there to kick in) and traversed at 13,900+ from there to the notch below the peak. Once we got past the large bolder/rock at the top of the field, easy going from there laterally to the notch. Watch for the marmot near the peak, especially around the "crux." You don't want it popping out on you when you are working on those critical handholds. Awesome peak!
Attachments
View from Wilson Peak
View from Wilson Peak
photo(1).JPG (90.21 KiB) Viewed 619 times
View above Navajo Lake
View above Navajo Lake
photo.JPG (271.67 KiB) Viewed 619 times