Bora Bora hiking/climbing?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Bora Bora hiking/climbing?

Post by davebks »

Hi all, I am planning my honeymoon and considering Bora Bora, Cook Islands, or Fiji. I am leaning toward Bora Bora. Anyone been to any of those? Does BB have decent climbing or hiking?
Good trip? Would you pick one of those places over the others?
Thanks!
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Bora Bora hiking/climbing?

Post by pvnisher »

Get ready to pay $20 for a hamburger on Fiji. ](*,)
johnF
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by johnF »

I honeymooned not in Bora Bora, but at an island right next to it. I can't speak to the hiking/climbing, but I'll say that those islands are very small, so any such options will be quite limited.

I'd disagree with the statement, "you could get a similar experience in some Caribbean Islands," but everyone experiences things differently, so I'm not necessarily arguing with Dex. He even said he's not a beach person :) If you're looking for amazing beaches (clean, picturesque, warm), top-notch food, top-notch resorts, and the best hospitality and service anywhere, definitely go to Tahiti and not the Carribean... but you do pay for all of that. My wife is into that kind of thing, and she can't stop talking about the Tahitian experience ten years later.

So I'd totally recommend Bora Bora if you want a great beach honeymoon, but not necessarily if hiking is a top priority. From what I've heard, Bora Bora is a slight notch above the other two places you've mentioned in terms of hospitality, etc.
samoarob
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by samoarob »

Like my name, I was born in Samoa, 1 hour east of Fiji and 1 hour west of Tahiti. I agree with Fletch. I've taken many cruises to the Caribbean and there is no comparison with Tahiti. Tahiti, hands down! My wife and I take 2 trips to Kauai every year and even that you can't compare to Tahiti.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Does BB have decent climbing or hiking?
I've been to the islands around Bora Bora, such as Moorea and Tahiti. Yes, they have really spectacular mountains, but most of them are pretty hard. Mouaputa is one of the easier ones, but it still remains the scariest and most difficult climb I have done. The highest peak in Bora Bora is still unclimbed. I guess it depends on your definition of "decent". Spectacular and beautiful, yes.

The SP pages will give you an idea of what the mountains look like over there:

http://www.summitpost.org/mouaputa-moorea/155041" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.summitpost.org/rotui-moorea/155046" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.summitpost.org/aorai-tahiti/155135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The mountains tend to be quite steep and rise straight out of the ocean.

I still haven't been to Fiji, but do know that you are required to have a guide to legally climb/hike there. Supposed to be some really good hikes though.

PS, choose you're destination based on the dry season. Climbing is not really practical in French Polynesia (or I've heard Fiji) during the wet season. Someone mentioned the Caribbean, but the seasons are opposite to those of French Polynesia/Fiji for most islands.

If you want to go hiking climbing, December through April is best for most of the Caribbean. If you want to go hiking or climbing in French Polynesia or Fiji, May through October is more practical. The wet season can be dangerous for hiking/climbing in French Polynesia. Even November (between wet and dry seasons) was pretty scary.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

Thanks for the info all. We talked about doing something closer but in the end it's our honeymoon and we can to Mexico (and other close places like that anytime).
The thought is get to Bora Bora (probably), get an over the water bungalow, relax.
I looked up some fun hikes down there so that will be ok with me. I don't need big climbing or anything, I just thought I'd ask.

In the end this is mostly about diving/snorkeling, relaxing, and enjoying the water life.
I poked around this weekend and BB seemed like the best middle ground place for us. Fiji was a bit too expensive and busy but the Cooks were a bit too primitive.

In any case well keep looking into it.
Thanks. If you have been to Bora Bora and have some direct feedback I'd love to hear it.
Mtn2Metro
14ers: 55 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mtn2Metro »

I honeymooned in Mo'orea and Bora Bora. Mo'orea was more of the locals island. I compare it to Breck and Bora Bora to Aspen. Mo'orea is home to all the working class. Of coarse we were there for the amazing diving. Visibility is around 100' and the waters are warm. I searched out hiking while I was there and didn't find anything. We instead choose 4x4 tour up the hill there to a nice overlook. Bora Bora's infrastructure was carved out during WWII during the Pearl Harbor era by the American's. Servicemen would write home and it quickly became known as a remote paradise everyone wanted to visit. Honestly when you get there hiking will be the last thing on your mind. Enjoy yourself and all the pleasures the island has to offer.
Your imagination is your preview of life's coming attractions. -A. Einstein
Let your life proceed by it's own design. -Barlow/Weir
johnF
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by johnF »

Definitely do an overwater bungalow in Bora Bora (as long as you can afford it). You'll never forget that experience!
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The places you are considering are exotic - but there is much more in Australia.
I respectfully disagree. Mile for mile, French Polynesia (i.e. Bora Bora, Tahiti, Moorea) is much more scenic than Australia. The food in Australia is overall nasty as well (my least favorite in all my world travels). :-& The food is nothing like Outback Steakhouse. The most memorable part of Sydney was the being flashed by prostitutes (we were there on New Years though), but yes there are some attractions. Sydney has a party spring break-ish atmosphere rather than romantic.

Yes, Australia has good diving and good (and very interesting) wildlife, but in most areas the scenery is pretty ordinary. Darwin area may be an exception. Tasmania too.

For honeymooning, French Polynesia would be far superior than Australia (I've been to both). For a single college guy looking for a spring break-ish party atmosphere, Sydney would be fine.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

BB is 47 square miles - more scenic then Australia!

Yes; especially per mile beauty. I doubt that there is anything as scenic as French Polynesia around Cairns or Sydney.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bor ... M=HDRSC2#a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously Australia is a lot bigger though.

Also, I didn't say that Australia/Sydney was bad (I'd like to return for some canyoning in the Blue Mountains), but that French Polynesia was overall more beautiful/romantic, especially per mile. There are some lovely areas in Australia for sure.

The main attraction for me at least in Australia is the wildlife. Lots of interesting stuff found nowhere else. Per mile, I also thought New Zealand was also more spectacular overall than the area around Sydney. We did both on the same trip and spent much of a (North American) winter between the two.
It all comes down to what a person likes - I like doing different things and roads less traveled/touristy.
True and I also like the roads less travelled. Next time I am in Australia I hope to fly Cairns to Papua New Guinea, though I'm a bit concerned about safety, which why I haven't done it yet. I wouldn't go on a honeymoon to New Guinea though.

There are lots of places one could go on a honeymoon, but I was sticking to the places the original post was about.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I think French Polynesia is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Although it still had it's attractions, I didn't have that same impression after visiting the area around Sydney (perhaps partially because we had just spent over a month in New Zealand). In French Polynesia, I liked the ocean, the people, the hiking/climbing (which I never saw a soul on any of them), and the waterfalls. What I didn't like was the cost of everything (a quart of milk was something like $3) and the heat and humidity (which won't matter if you are just doing water activities).

In Australia I liked the wildlife (especially), hiking, and coastline (I'm not really a big city person). Seeing kangaroos, koalas, etc. when you are out hiking and camping is actually pretty fun. Although its a big place and I only know a smattering of it, with the exception of maybe Darwin or Tasmania, I still am skeptical that there is anywhere in Australia as scenic as French Polynesia or even much of New Zealand.

As mentioned, French Polynesia is one of the most scenic places I've seen in the world, and I have been to a fair amount of places (all the countries I've been to are marked in red):
Attachments
trav.jpg
trav.jpg (39.44 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

one other thought we had recently was Grenada...
Anyone been??
Kevo
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Kevo »

Fiji is awesome, and if you get outside the major resort areas it is relatively cheap compared to Hawaii or the Caribean. I'm not sure of any established climbing areas in Fiji, but there is definitely good rock on some of the outer islands.

The best food and beaches per dollar spent I've come across so far is Thailand. If you negotiate rate in the less traveled areas, you can get a bungalow on the beach for $5-15/night and food for a few dollars. If you want to climb and be in a tropical beach location, there is probably no better place in the world. It can take a lot of travel (trains/minibuses/buses/boats) to get to some of the less developed and more remote areas, so you'll want a couple weeks there at a minimum if you plan to get outside the major resort areas.

I'm headed to the Cook Islands in August- I'm pretty excited to check out another corner of the South Pacific. We are bringing snorkel gear and the house we are renting has a scooter for exploring the island and a two person sea kayak to keep us busy. We plan to hike for a day, but aren't planning on climbing.