Mt. Bierstadt Conditions for Sunday

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rbailey23
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Bierstadt Conditions for Sunday

Post by rbailey23 »

Checking to see if anyone can confirm that microspikes and gaiters are still needed to summit the peak and pass the lower parts? The last conditions report didn't specify they were needed on Evans, so I'm not sure if they're needed on Bierstadt?

Thanks!
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Mt. Bierstadt Conditions for Sunday

Post by Doug Shaw »

I went up back in early May without either.

There may be a few spots where microspikes might be a little helpful on Bierstadt, but in general you're not likely to run into anything you can't manage with straight boots and careful footwork.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Here's my conditions report from this morning:
http://14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_en ... ecnum=2369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where ever you are... There you are.
rbailey23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rbailey23 »

Thanks to both of you! I appreciate your feedback. That really helps solidify our trip this weekend.
rbailey23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rbailey23 »

I didn't want to buy micro spikes, unless absolutely necessary. Still a newbie here, I've only done 7 14ers.
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Billy the Kid »

I just summited Bierstadt today (6/15). You do NOT need any winter gear, including micro spikes. There's a little snow, as you get near the summit, but it can easily be navigated...
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott
toe jam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by toe jam »

Planning to do both Bierstadt and Evans tomorrow (Sunday). Planning to bring my MICROspikes, just in case, as well as an ice axe.

Thanks to everyone who posted conditions.
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

I was planning on Bierstadt this Sunday (9/22) but have heard varying conditions reports. Has anyone been up recently (well, mainly after the past major storms)? Ice, snow, spikes needed, etc? Any info is welcome and helpful!
sevekeeper
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sevekeeper »

I just climbed up on Friday the 20th. It was perfectly fine and no use of any spikes is required. There was a stream where some people took off their shoes and went across but if you go to the right of it for a little you can jump across just fine
Voodoo302
14ers: 19 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voodoo302 »

It looks like the weather is supposed to change early-mid afternoon on Sunday, unless the forecast changes again.

http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/post/1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was planning a quick trip on Sunday as well; I figure I'll get up and back down before any of this rolls in, and keep an eye on it on the way up. I don't plan on bringing any spikes or anything but if you plan on being out after noon I'd bring warm clothes and maybe spikes.
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

Thanks Voodoo302 and sevekeeper! It looks like we'll probably head up nice and early tomorrow to try to beat the storm, which hopefully cooperates for us! Generally I'm back at the car by noon, so hopefully it won't be a problem, but we'll make sure to keep an eye out for changing weather. Really appreciate your feedback on the trail (especially the creek tip!)
goldenite
14ers: 52  1 
13ers: 53
Trip Reports (1)

Post by goldenite »

E_A_Marcus_949, how were the creek crossing and the willows? I'm planning on doing Bierstadt/Evans on Sunday 09/29 and don't want to spend most of the trip with wet feet!