Chiefs Head Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
EXCRUCIATED
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Chiefs Head Peak

Post by EXCRUCIATED »

In August I am planning a multi-day trip along the divide in RMNP. We will begin in wild basin up to Lion Lake and over Chiefs Head peak. I am trying to find information regarding the difficulty past Cheif's Head to McHenry's via Stoneman. We will camp near Lion Lake so we can start early and negotiate. Night two I was hoping to by shelf lake, but that looks like it may require technical to get down into from the divide. Anyone have experience in this area? Anyone experienced who doesn't have anything to do for three days in August? I am experienced with Long's Peak three times, but not many over nighters. I just want to stay up there for a few days to really soak it in, it's always so sad to leave such a beautiful place after only a few hours. Thanks for any insights.

Josh
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. -Lance Armstrong
viejo
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Chiefs Head Peak

Post by viejo »

You might want to start by going to the NPS website and determining where you're allowed to camp. There are both designated sites and undesignated back country areas, all requiring permits. Shelf Lake, for example, would not be a legal camping location. Knowing where you can or can't legally camp will help put a spin on what routes you might want to take.

For example, if you wanted to end in the Glacier Gorge area, your camping spot would be down near Jewel Lake. It would then make sense to descend from Stone Man's pass. McHenry's would be done as a side trip from the pass. Stone Man's pass descent would be steep with a pack, but doable (snow conditions permitting).
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

Unless you're prepared for technical terrain I think you will want to go over Boulder-Grand Pass south of Mt. Alice to access McHenry from Wild Basin.
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

EXCRUCIATED wrote:I am trying to find information regarding the difficulty past Cheif's Head to McHenry's via Stoneman.
Josh,
Here you go.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

Thanks for correction Floyd. Sweet photos!
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

Can anyone advise on the difficulty and complexity of the approach to Stone Man Pass from above Black Lake, and if this would be easier/harder/impossible with snow? I read lordhelmut's TR and their group went up by an alternate route.

Thanks
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Dry, it is pretty straight forward - head WSW somewhat towards Arrowhead and head left on the slabby ledges when it starts to get difficult. I recall a brief class 3 section. It's a class 2 talus hop up after that to Stoneman. Bit loose.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1059785374 ... 5234881746

With snow or ice, I would probably avoid the slabby section and take the long way around: heading east from the lake up the gully towards Storm prior to pulling a U back to Stoneman. Class 2 all the way.
Brian Thomas wrote:Can anyone advise on the difficulty and complexity of the approach to Stone Man Pass from above Black Lake, and if this would be easier/harder/impossible with snow? I read lordhelmut's TR and their group went up by an alternate route.

Thanks
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

I agree with everything Monster5 wrote above. I don't think you want to fiddle with the slabs to your right when you get to Black Lake if there is snow/ice. I thought the toughest move of the day was gaining the top of the slabs. There was one short section of easy 3.

The gully to stoneman is loose but not awful. The backside of McHenrys has a faint trail all the way to the summit. You can make it as difficult as you want. Staying ridge proper would be the most challenging.

Good luck.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

Monster5 and Papillon, exactly the information I was looking for, thank you! We are thinking about going for McHenrys and Chiefs Head this weekend. When I made the BC permit reservation in early March, CO was still at well below average snowpack for the year, so not sure what to expect up there...
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan