Four Mile Road 13ers

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Four Mile Road 13ers

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Greetings:
Looking for any recent condition reports or photos for Horseshoe, Sheridan and White Ridge, including Four Mile Road itself beyond Leavick.

As an added bonus, similar info about Mount Sniktau is also appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Four Mile Road 13ers

Post by Chicago Transplant »

You can park at Leavick no problem there is a drift just above it that one 4Runner went through this AM but nobody else. Doesn't save you much hiking anyway, and past that the road was snow covered all the way to the split to Horseshoe. I climbed Horseshoe's Boudoir, continuous snow possible (but a few parts could be bypassed if you wanted) all the way to and up the Couloir, as well as the ridge to the summit. Skied well, just stating to get a thin layer of carveable sun softened snow on it at 9.15 when I dropped in, but today was a cooler morning with early clouds that kept the sun off it initially. The NE aspect gets sun pretty much as sunrise, so on a warmer day you would want to be earlier. Posted an image in the Couloir Thread: http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 13#p482613

Sheridan has strips of snow on the lookers left and right sides of the east face, but up the middle was dry, White Ridge has several snow couloirs filled in that drop to the road near the road split I took. Not sure how the road is past that point, but would assume drifted just like the part I hiked.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Wookie Horn
14ers: 48  4 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wookie Horn »

Mark - I am headed up Horseshoe et.al. next Thursday (5/23) if that is of interest. Also, I will post conditions after.

As for Mt.Sniktau, my partner and I hiked it last weekend. Continuous snow all the way up from Loveland Pass. Deep enough most of the way to warrant snowshoes or expect shin to need deep postholing. Should be a good trench of snowshoe and bare boot tracks given the amount of traffic last Saturday. The ridge from Cupid to Grizzly looked a bit spicy with good cornices to climber left and a steep enough snow slope to climber right that you really wanted to make sure you stayed on the ridge.

-Wookie
CSchoick
14ers: 9 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CSchoick »

Sniktau was good today. There is still enough snow up there for mid-shin postholing. It was cool and overcast early, we got out of there before it softened up enough to break through much.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

How was the snow on Sherman?
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Mark A Steiner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Wookie Horn wrote:Mark - I am headed up Horseshoe et.al. next Thursday (5/23) if that is of interest. Also, I will post conditions after.

As for Mt.Sniktau, my partner and I hiked it last weekend. Continuous snow all the way up from Loveland Pass. Deep enough most of the way to warrant snowshoes or expect shin to need deep postholing. Should be a good trench of snowshoe and bare boot tracks given the amount of traffic last Saturday. The ridge from Cupid to Grizzly looked a bit spicy with good cornices to climber left and a steep enough snow slope to climber right that you really wanted to make sure you stayed on the ridge.

-Wookie
Thanks. Looking more like Memorial Day weekend for me directing toward the Mosquitoes or Sniktau - if all other intermediary matters here are satisfied.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.
Mark A Steiner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Thanks for the helpful replies. Any other updates between now and next Tuesday are welcome, since I am not sure which day the upcoming weekend holiday I will head for the high country.
Good day.