Need direction...day hikes off I-70

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Re: Need direction...day hikes off I-70

Post by fleetmack »

Hanging Lakes just east of Glenwood Springs is beautiful, but you may see a lot of people.... definitely something I think everyone should see, though
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Wow, how'd I miss this one...

CDT from Berthoud Pass in either direction. Not a lot of driving at all from I-70, and still close to Denver.

Summit County: Ptarmigan Trail, Buffalo Mountain and Mt. Royal/Peak 1. The two Frisco exits have tralheads leading back into the Gores pretty much right at the interchange. Right off US 6 there's Tenderfoot Mountain, actually going to see how far I can get up there this afternoon.

Many options on the Eagle County side of the Gore Range. Pitkin Lake, Bighorn Creek, Deluge Lake, Gore Creek. Further west in Glenwood Canyon, there's Hanging Lake.

Don't blow off the Jefferson County open space parks this time of year. You can get 5-6 miles and 1500 feet of gain up to peaks with nice views, and everything should be dry now.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

wildlobo71 wrote: There will be snow at all high-elevation mountains - whether or not the trail requires traction or is sufficiently packed - don't bet on it.
True for 14ers, but also for lower elevation. I'm guessing that Grays will be more packed than those lesser travelled 13ers.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Mt Sniktau from Loveland Pass is simple, snow-safe if you stay on the ridge, and has great views. You can also hit Sapphire Point on the same side trip for an even quicker hike.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
winmag4582001
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (10)

Post by winmag4582001 »

You could hike from the interstate to the railroad tunnel under Kelso mountain. It's kind of neat to say that you've stood 2,100' directly below the summit.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."
hmelch
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hmelch »

winmag4582001 wrote:You could hike from the interstate to the railroad tunnel under Kelso mountain. It's kind of neat to say that you've stood 2,100' directly below the summit.
Interesting. I didn't know about that. I'll definitely look into that.

Thanks for the rest of the recommendations, folks! Good stuff!
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

You can try the Boy Scout trail in Glenwood.It's about 2000' in elevation gain, and around 6 miles round trip. You can hike to the summit of Storm King in Glenwood. You go up the memorial trail to the lookout and follow the west ridge to the top. This will get you around 3100' in elevation gain in 3 miles for a round trip of a little over 6 miles. There is some bushwhacking before you tie into the old road below the west side of the mountain. The views going up Storm King are great!
bohlsen
14ers: 26 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bohlsen »

TravelingMatt wrote: Many options on the Eagle County side of the Gore Range. Pitkin Lake, Bighorn Creek, Deluge Lake, Gore Creek. Further west in Glenwood Canyon, there's Hanging Lake.
+1 on the Gore range, particularly Gore Lake. Beautiful alpine valley and not very crowded plus the TH is right off of I-70. Probably still need snowshoes this time of year though
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
dave_navy_VA
14ers: 41 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dave_navy_VA »

Here are some ideas (some are very close to I-70 like Tenderfoot, which was newly added to this site).

Mohawk Lake is really nice, a few miles S of Breck.

http://www.summitcountyexplorer.com/sum ... trails.htm
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

hmelch wrote:I'm not partial to 14ers/13ers, just looking for some epic trails/scenery. For example, we're going to check out Hanging Lake near Glenwood Springs.
If you're into waterfalls - like Bridal Veil Falls and Spouting Rock at Hanging Lake - you can also check out:

1) Continental Falls, just south of Breckenridge (probably frozen right now)
2) Booth Creek Falls, Vail (also probably frozen now)
3) Rifle Falls, Rifle (fee area)
4) No Thoroughfare Canyon Waterfalls, Colorado National Monument, Grand Junction (fee area)
5) Big Dominguez Canyon Waterfalls, Dominguez-Escalante National Conservation Area, Grand Junction

The Big Dominguez hike comes with three waterfalls and petroglyphs, too, and it would be nice to go before the weather heats up - there is no shade in that canyon.

No Thoroughfare Canyon also has three waterfalls. It's just 6.2 miles out and back to see all the waterfalls, or you can hike the entire canyon - about 16.6 miles round trip - or do a car shuttle. It's another great hike, especially in cooler weather.
hmelch
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hmelch »

Thanks again folks. I'm flying out from the East coast tomorrow. I'll report what areas I hit up.

-Howard
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

hmelch wrote:Thanks again folks. I'm flying out from the East coast tomorrow. I'll report what areas I hit up.
Its been snowing regularly in the mountains with some passes closed as recently as yesterday. Rent a good vehicle.