Elbert trails

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
roether
Trip Reports (0)

Elbert trails

Post by roether »

Hiking Elbert this summer. How much more difficult is the Black Cloud trail? It sure has an easy access from that lodge about 200 feet away.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Elbert trails

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

More rugged and more elevation gain than the northeast and east ridge routes. There's a trail up to 13,500' and then it's a rock-hop/walk over "South Elbert" and up Elbert's south ridge to reach the summit.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Bill Cummings
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill Cummings »

I'm a big fan of the Black Cloud Trail. The views it gives you to the south are really fantastic (be sure to stop briefly just above treeline and turn around to the south and enjoy the view of La Plata and the valley). It is definitely a bit more elevation gain than the standard route. The long time you'll spend on Elbert's south ridge (about 2 miles each way) gives you a lot of beautiful views but also a lot of weather exposure--be sure to watch for storms.

Also, in the fall, the aspens in the lower section can really be nice.

I miss the olden days (1980's) when the trail played out at the old cabin (now burned down) right around treeline. You had to improvise/scramble up the big slope, which was a lot of work but also lots of fun--an enjoyable challenge. Are there any other old f**ts out there who remember that?
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Bill Cummings wrote:I'm a big fan of the Black Cloud Trail. The views it gives you to the south are really fantastic (be sure to stop briefly just above treeline and turn around to the south and enjoy the view of La Plata and the valley). It is definitely a bit more elevation gain than the standard route. The long time you'll spend on Elbert's south ridge (about 2 miles each way) gives you a lot of beautiful views but also a lot of weather exposure--be sure to watch for storms.
A big +1 to that, sir. Splendid way to experience the mountain.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

Here's a report I just added, it might help. To be honest, the climb up from the basin to gain the southeast ridge looks pretty tough. I came down that way, all the while thinking I'm glad I went up via Bull Hill. Of course, conditions will be different on another day.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13457" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
jet
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jet »

My wife and I used the Black Cloud route when we did Elbert. We camped near the mine close to treeline so we could get a better start because of weather concerns. We went around South Elbert on the way up but back over it on the way down. After that we basically just started heading toward our campsite. We were back at our campsite by 10.am. and the clouds were already moving in. We quickly packed up but still got caught in a storm on the hike out. This is a good route as long as the weather gave you time to return along the long ridge.