Little Bear, April-May

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Little Bear, April-May

Post by wineguy »

seth0687 wrote:guys.....GET ON THIS MOUNTAIN NOW!!!!!!

Just got back from a freakin awesome trip. Snow is a bit soft in a couple areas, but conditions were still amazing the whole way from just before Jaws 1 all the way to the summit. Snow is still covering just about the whole entire hourglass, save a few rock bands just below the summit. Conditions were awesome. I will try and post some pictures/conditions report either today or tomorrow.

Good luck and safe travels to all!!!
Thanks for the tip. This post inspired me to drive out from Kansas City and complete the 14ers with Little Bear on April 26.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

I just posted a trip report, in case someone wants to see recent conditions.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
bhaydin
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bhaydin »

Great report and thanks for the images. Congratulations on your finisher, by the way!

I'll see some of you this weekend!
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Congratulations!
Sweet finish.
I cancelled my trip for this past weekend, but going for two climbs in May.
Thanks for the story and pic's
seth0687
14ers: 21  1  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by seth0687 »

wineguy wrote:
seth0687 wrote:guys.....GET ON THIS MOUNTAIN NOW!!!!!!

Just got back from a freakin awesome trip. Snow is a bit soft in a couple areas, but conditions were still amazing the whole way from just before Jaws 1 all the way to the summit. Snow is still covering just about the whole entire hourglass, save a few rock bands just below the summit. Conditions were awesome. I will try and post some pictures/conditions report either today or tomorrow.

Good luck and safe travels to all!!!
Thanks for the tip. This post inspired me to drive out from Kansas City and complete the 14ers with Little Bear on April 26.
So glad I could inspire you and congratulations on your amazing finish!!!
pseudoghost
14ers: 32 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pseudoghost »

Any more recent beta on Little Bear? Saw the trip report from the 5th, but wondering whether it got any snow with the last storm and/or whether or not the hourglass is still more-or-less covered...
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

Just posted a Peak Conditions update for Little Bear. Didn't quite get to the Hourglass, but the photos should give you some kind of visual as to what to expect.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

Thanks Eskermo for the update! Did you guys turn around because route conditions / snow cover became unstable or was it just not in the cards that day?
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

It was my first real snow climb with crampons and an ice axe, we got started about an hour later than we wanted, and my mind just wasn't in the right place/"in it" to be climbing something of that magnitude. Route finding was definitely a bit of an issue on the West Ridge with the recent snow, but I bet most of it melts out in the next couple days (just guessing by looking at the forecast on mountain-forecast.com).

I am no expert of avy conditions, but my partner was also somewhat concerned with descending the north facing gully leading to the west ridge too late in the day. There was definitely a layer of slabbiness on top with a good bit of softer snow underneath in some places, while other parts of the gully were more consolidated. I didn't see any recent looking runout debris or other evidence of recent slides anywhere on the slope, but take what I say with a grain of salt. Ohioboy might be able to elaborate a little more on his thoughts on the snow conditions.