Fisticuffs at 7,000ft (Everest)

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wooly Stick
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Fisticuffs at 7,000ft (Everest)

Post by Wooly Stick »

uwe wrote:Hmmm, new gear requirements: boxing gloves?
Anybody thinking about climbing Mt. Everest Northeast Ridge via Tibet in 2015?
Boxing gloves are not compatible vit da Alpine style. Dis is why I now leave da Himalaya.
happyhappyjoyjoy
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by happyhappyjoyjoy »

Came across this while Googling.....http://www.adventure-journal.com/2013/0 ... ks-uglier/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds"- Edward Abbey
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I wonder if naming other people by their nationality (Sherpa) rather than role (cook, porter, roper) may increase the devisiveness. When I hear something like a group of "such-and-such nationality got angry" I get a different mental image than if heard a "group of ropers", etc. Its pre-judging the nationality rather than the inherent difficulties of the task at hand. This happens often enough in the USA.
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

peter303 wrote:I wonder if naming other people by their nationality (Sherpa)
I could be wrong, but isn't Sherpa each of their last name as well? All "Sherpas" have the last name "Sherpa". So if there were 100 people with the last name Smith involved, we could say these climbers were attacked by 100 Smiths. That'd be awesome. Nobody f's with the Smiths!
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

fleetmack wrote:All "Sherpas" have the last name "Sherpa". So if there were 100 people with the last name Smith involved, we could say these climbers were attacked by 100 Smiths. That'd be awesome. Nobody f's with the Smiths!
I think that is right, and I also think there are only about 7 common first names, like Apu and Chongba.
Can you imagine what the trial will be like? There could be 5 or 6 Apu Sherpa's on trial for the same thing.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I think that is right, and I also think there are only about 7 common first names
Many of them; probably a majority are named after the day of the week that they were born on.

For example, Pemba = Saturday.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

http://www.explorersweb.com/kellogg7/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
mike_kadow
14ers: 24 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mike_kadow »

zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

Bill Maher's hilarious take on the Everest fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8hIjgwE0UY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;