La Plata - Mid June

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Faldron
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

La Plata - Mid June

Post by Faldron »

I could use some guidance planning a weekend trip June 15,16 with La Plata (NW ridge) as my goal. I have completed 18 unique 14ers with a few repeats, but they have always been late August or early September.

I apologize if these are simple questions, but I'm having trouble finding the information that I'm looking for.

Being from Chicago and never experiencing Colorado in June, I have no idea what to expect snow-wise (except what I've seen in trip reports). I'd love to pack light since I am flying out Saturday morning and flying home Monday morning, but I cannot determine if I'll need my ice axe and/or crampons. Is it safe to say that I will not need an ice axe mid June? Or, is it too early to say one way or another? Should I wait to decide and check conditions the week before? Any advice on mid-June planning would be helpful.

Thanks
FCSquid
14ers: 33 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (9)

Re: La Plata - Mid June

Post by FCSquid »

In mid-June, you probably should be packing both axe and crampons. I did the Southwest ridge a couple of years ago at roughly the same time of year, and there was still a good deal of snow on the route. I never did need the crampons, but I used my ice axe in several places.

With all the recent snowfall in the last few weeks, it looks like the peaks will all be holding snow much longer than last year.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin