Glacier--Many Glacier Area

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Glacier--Many Glacier Area

Post by steelfrog »

Hi folks. Planning a trip to many glacier area around July 4th. Question, is using cut bank as a base of operations silly? Having a time finding affordable lodging closer...

Many thanks!
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Glacier--Many Glacier Area

Post by TravelingMatt »

Yes, the hotels on the edge of Glacier can charge whatever they want that time of year. I think prices are worse on that side, because there's less supply. Also, if you're just checking rates on the Internet, you'll miss a lot of properties, as most hotels around Glacier are mom-and-pops and don't do online bookings.

How many nights do you need a hotel for? Can you rent a cabin for a couple nights somewhere or camp or sleep in your car? (Latter is possible in the NF south of US 2; I've done it.)

If you're gonna commit to staying that far away from the entrance, have you looked at Kalispell? At least there's stuff there.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

My spouse doesn't do camping or car-ring or anything but somewhere with running water etc. usually just leave her behind but I want to get her out. Of course have to get reservations in advance and not paying over $100 a night. Found a place in cut bank cheap and I guess the question is are there any better options given my constraints?
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

The options on that side are very limited. The places in East Glacier Park Village can charge whatever they want and there aren't very many. There's at least one lodge at Saint Mary but I'm sure the same applies there. Browning has nothing and don't even bother trying. I found out the hard way why no lodging comes up in Browning when you do an internet search. Actually, best advice, don't stop in Browning either.

Cut Bank is probably the only affordable option on that side but it's not very close. There are definitely a lot more options on the west side of the park.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

OK then; so, question--we want to do stuff in the Many Glacier area; is there a west/south side base that isn't too far away from the Many Glacier area? I am mindful that it being early July, going through the park could take forever? Would it be just as inconvenient to stay in Cut Bank on east side?

Thanks a bunch!