the Y Couloir on Pikes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
keystone4me
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

the Y Couloir on Pikes

Post by keystone4me »

Ft Collins
we have had big snows here last week and today, has it been going on in the Springs? thinking about hiking the Y couloir this Saturday. would this be a good idea? feed back please. planning on the devils playground trailhead and drop in at rumdoodle ridge. is the road open yet?
Peakjumper
14ers: 6 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: the Y Couloir on Pikes

Post by Peakjumper »

Was up riding in near Little Italy on Sunday. Nobody ventured higher than the top of the apron on Italy all day. Filled in nicely but with all the avy activity lately don't think anyone wanted to tempt the snow gods... I checked the snotel site this morning and they are only reporting a couple inches so far... ](*,) The road was open about a mile past Glen Cove on Sunday but with this storm and the high winds that it brought I would bet the road is only open to Glen Cove again. By Saturday with milder weather ahead I would guess that it may be open up to at least the top of the ridge. I will be up there again this weekend(maybe Little Italy) once I see what this storm does. I have a few pics of Glen Cove area but nothing in the area you are looking at sorry...
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

I know Pikes has recieved a pretty good amount of snow in the last few weeks, 12+ and probably higher totals in wind loaded areas. Just looking at the temps on the snotel at Glen Cove it looks as though the highs have been in the 20-upper 30's range. That is at an elevation of 11,400 ft. I do not believe the Glen Cove area snowpack has gone completely isothermal. Take into account that you are asking about the Y which is situated between 13-14k, North facing and with new snow. I personally would not venture onto it right now and I have no doubt the snow is in worse shape stability wise than the Glen Cove area.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Agreed on the poor stability in the Y right now. Temperatures aren't going to be conducive for consolidation this week. May is likely to be a better time for the Y.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Hoot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 150
Trip Reports (36)

Post by Hoot »

Yep. My crew is postphoning The Y from this weekend until May.