4th of July TH

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

4th of July TH

Post by Steve Climber »

Any beta on conditions up to 4th of July TH? Toying with the idea of Skywalker on Sunday. Never been to this TH, and not sure if small car will go or if 4x4 is needed...

Seems like tomorrow would be nicer weather in general, but looks like less wind Sunday. CAIC looks like it should be shaping up.

Any info is appreciated. Also, if anyone would care to join, send PM

Cheers!
Sam
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 4th of July TH

Post by Sugar Madison »

I'm guessing it's not open yet, but once it is plowed, a normal car can make it there.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

aboynamedmargrette wrote:Any beta on conditions up to 4th of July TH? Toying with the idea of Skywalker on Sunday. Never been to this TH, and not sure if small car will go or if 4x4 is needed...

Seems like tomorrow would be nicer weather in general, but looks like less wind Sunday. CAIC looks like it should be shaping up.

Any info is appreciated. Also, if anyone would care to join, send PM

Cheers!
Sam
I'd be really interested in this couloir but the forecast for Sunday looks to be shite.

Pretty decent dump Saturday night with 4-8 forecast at Eldora and up to 12" at other FRange locations.

NOAA also makes Sunday out to look blustery.

In other words, Sunday's gonna be a powder day, Skywalker is usually best reserved for early-mid may
Make wilderness less accessible.
Steve Climber
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Yeah was just looking at that. Thinking I'm going to pass for now and go to flat irons instead. Skywalker is def on my list for this season though.
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

On my list too. Can't go on a Sunday though. Friday is my preferred hiking day but Saturday could also work for this one. I'd be interested in any beta when available.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
Liquid Shadow
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 68 3 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Will definitely be following this thread. Have been wanting to do Skywalker for a long time now.
-OwenZ
Steve Climber
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Will be keeping an eye on conditions for the next week or so. I'm thinking weekend AFTER this coming (04/27) might be a reasonable shot. Give the snow a bit of time to come back together from all this amazing winter...errr....I mean SPRING weather :wft:
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
paulie
Trip Reports (0)

Post by paulie »

The Fourth of July road isn't plowed until late May, which is right about time the snow is firm enough to climb Skywalker. I'd wait.
Steve Climber
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Bump. Also posted in Couloir Season 2013 thread. Anyone interested in joining? Will be an EARLY start. Would like to be on route by 3-4 am. Assuming we get to the choice of exits, we can decide given conditions, but Han Solo (R) or Escape (L) both sound doable. Princess Leia (Direct exit) sounds like it has potential to be dicey.
aboynamedmargrette wrote:Toying with the idea of Skywalker 05/25 now that 4th of July is open. Anyone have any shots / beta on it they can share?

Cheers,
Sam
chrismjx
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by chrismjx »

Does anyone have any recent info on the Fourth of July road and TH (IPW) and surrounding area? I have a week off before I start a new job and I'm looking for spots to backpack that I can get to quickly from my place...
chrismjx
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by chrismjx »

Really?...bump
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

viewtopic.php?t=39856&p=483666#p483666

...you know at some point you guys are going to have to just venture out there and see for yourselves...
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!