Water source information for all the 14ers

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Water source information for all the 14ers

Post by TallGrass »

Pair in lower left:
"Yeah, the 14er.com route description water info tab says there's a creek in Min... ne... ha... ha... Gulch that's three-inches from here on the map where, like, we might be able get some water. Hope so because my Gatorade bottle is almost out. You think we should go 'off-route' to the right to gain some 'cool vert' and see if we can spot an alternative water source in case we can't make it that far? I brought my ice axe and glissading pants. This is going to be sooooo epic!"
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

TallGrass wrote: "Yeah, the 14er.com route description water info tab says there's a creek in Min... ne... ha... ha... Gulch that's three-inches from here on the map where, like, we might be able get some water. Hope so because my Gatorade bottle is almost out. You think we should go 'off-route' to the right to gain some 'cool vert' and see if we can spot an alternative water source in case we can't make it that far? I brought my ice axe and glissading pants. This is going to be sooooo epic!"
"...and maybe we'll see Goofy and Minnie Mouse up there!"
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

TravelingMatt wrote:Drinking from obvious water sources? Too mainstream.
Now THAT'S funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

milan wrote:Yeah, this site is full of information, just adding info about water sources on 14ers - it's too much, right? There are like five photographs of cruxes on each of the routes with lines in colors how to get over - just don't add water info, it's too much
How ever will we find water????
Attachments
rsz_14ers.jpg
rsz_14ers.jpg (278.71 KiB) Viewed 509 times
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

wildlobo71 wrote:
This discussion doesn't even matter if Bill doesn't see the value.
HAHAHA! I get it. You made a funny! :lol:
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

ChrisRoberts wrote:How ever will we find water????

Whoa, hold on a minute. I'm going to need to text this in the GPS. Got coordinates for each and an app you can just bump-transfer that over to my iPhone?
SPOT should really add a "NEED WATER" button. And that fat blue line, that's a river, right? Looks like it forks near the top. Which do I take? :-k Is the purple one safe to drink?
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I'll start working on the "Water Access and Quality (WAQ)" DB after I'm done with the "best fishin' spots" DB.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

ChrisRoberts wrote: How ever will we find water????
On Guanella Pass, you can just squeeze it out of your socks most of the way.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Have we learned nothing from Bear Grylls? If you run out of water, just look for whatever goat/bear/elk/marmot/pika droppings you can find, and squeeze the moisture out of it.
As long as I see mountain goats near the trail, I know I won't be dehydrating any time soon. =P~
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I'll start working on the "Water Access and Quality (WAQ)" DB after I'm done with the "best fishin' spots" DB.
I have a hard time imagining what a winter fish icon should look like.

But I'll work on it.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

I was kind of thinking....

Last edited by JTOlson26 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.