Advice on first 14er

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mckenzielz
Trip Reports (0)

Advice on first 14er

Post by mckenzielz »

Hello all -
I'm planning on taking a trip out to CO this summer with my family. I've been wanting to hike a 14er for a while now, but was curious as to which one would be best for my family to join me on. We're from Ohio, so they aren't used to the high altitude. I've taken a couple of trips out west and am pretty fit so I'm not too worried about myself. My sisters are only 12 and 14 and have done little to no hiking... I was thinking about Longs, Pikes, or Bierstadt (because of their closer proximity to cities). I've heard Longs isn't the best for beginners though. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Advice on first 14er

Post by Jim Davies »

Read this: http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Post by kansas »

Longs is a big day. Even if you don't have any issues with it being class 3, the physical demands may be too much for new hikers.

Personally, I like Pikes, but with the train and store on top it may not be what you're looking for.

Bierstadt is a shitshow.

You're already coming from Ohio, drive a couple extra hours and hit Huron or Handies. Short, beautiful hikes.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

Longs is really not a beginner peak. It is a very long hike, and includes a fair amount of class 3 scrambling

Pikes via bar trail is a really long day. It is fun in its own way, but I much prefer the peaks with out doughnuts and hoards of people who just drove up.

I would recommend looking at these
Great scenery not terribly far, relatively easy hikes
* La Plata
* Massive (southwest slopes)

Easy and close to Denver
* Bierstadt
* Grays / Torry's
* Sherman

Evans may be a really good choice given your family who haven't done much hiking. From summit lake it is a pretty easy hike, and the road gives you a bailout option.

just fair warning someone who has done little to no hiking may struggle on any 14er, you probably want to take them out on a shorter hike at altitude first to see how they do
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
HULKHIKEGOOD
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by HULKHIKEGOOD »

kansas wrote:
You're already coming from Ohio, drive a couple extra hours and hit Huron or Handies. Short, beautiful hikes.

I agree with Kansas, Handies was my first 14er and it was an AWESOME experience! Coming from Oklahoma, and basically NO acclimatization, I was able to get to the top with no issues. Hope you have a great trip!!!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Mt. Evans, Bierstadt, Quandry, and Elbert are easier climbs and have decent road access 30 minutes from I-70.
Though Coloradoans consider the Mt Evans road fairly easy, it does have steep dropoffs and hairpin turns.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

Drive a bit further and hit Quandary. Very manageable hike for beginners and yet still a great 14er experience. If you are looking to camp there are some great places down the road past the TH for the standard route.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Grays/Torreys are also somewhat close to the city (if that's what you are looking for), though the road to the northern trailhead is a little rough.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
leggaj5
14ers: 45  5 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by leggaj5 »

Whatever you do, do NOT do Sherman from Iowa Gulch. I took my roommate on this route for her first 14er....and she moved to Wisconsin a few months later.
Stephen Butler
14ers: 18 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stephen Butler »

Out of the three you listed, Bierstadt seems the best candidtate due to the inexperience of your sisters. However, during the summer, especially on weekends, Bierstadt is a zoo.

A couple others mentioned Grays/Torreys and Quandary. Although a little further from the Denver area I enjoyed those far more than Bierstadt.
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

Your sisters will be miserable and unlikely to succeed. Even the easiest 14ers require a decent level of fitness. 2000 feet or more of vertical at altitude will be extremely difficult for them. If they have no interest to begin with, you will be in for a whine fest of epic proportions.

Dave
pseudoghost
14ers: 32 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pseudoghost »

Quandary or Huron. Start early and take it slow. I think most people vastly overestimate the real difficulty of a 14er. Anyone can make it up if you start early enough, have good weather and take it slow.