14ers around Lake City/ SW CO/ San Juans

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
samkeith
Trip Reports (0)

14ers around Lake City/ SW CO/ San Juans

Post by samkeith »

Hey all!

I'm working at a camp in Lake City, CO this summer from May 15-Aug 2 and was wondering if y'all have any recommendations on must-climb 14ers in the San Juan Mts area. I'll have about a day off per week. I'd also like to summit one before I start work on the 15th, would any 14ers be doable without snowshoes or crampons at that time?
twotyerfryer
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: 14ers around Lake City/ SW CO/ San Juans

Post by twotyerfryer »

Hmm, you wouldn't happen to be going to Camp Redcloud would you?
schrund
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by schrund »

You'll be able to get Uncompahgre, Handies, Redcloud, Wetterhorn and Sunshine, all in a day each from Lake City. You can combine some of them. We're a bit early yet to be prescribing modes of travel 6 weeks from now, but you'll get it figured out. Enjoy! (edit - Oh, and San Luis too - with a bit of a drive !)
Last edited by schrund on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Sunshine and Redcloud would be the easiest ones to tackle first.
Stephen Butler
14ers: 18 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stephen Butler »

Sneffels is supposed to be one of the most beautiful to climb. It's probably 2 and a half hours (?) from Lake City though. Not sure what the conditions would be like in May...
3rdGenNative
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 3rdGenNative »

As mentioned above, it's hard to say what conditions will be like that far out. HOWEVER, you'll be in one of the most picturesque areas of the state. Sneffels was my first ever 14er. Last summer I got to do Handies, Uncompahgre, and Wetterhorn. Would have gotten Sunshine if a friend would have known how to read a map to the TH. If you're working at Redcloud I'll see you the week of June 16.
"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will never again settle for less."
Kurt Hahn-Founder of Outward Bound

"Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God." George Washington Carver
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

San Luis isn't out of the question, especially as a car camp.

Don't ignore all the 13ers nearby, either. Half, Carson, the Jones trio, Animas Forks, 13832/811, and Stewart are all nearby and very worthwhile.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
HULKHIKEGOOD
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by HULKHIKEGOOD »

Handies!!! It was my first 14er and it was a great experience!!! Loved the views from the summit and the hike up was just as enjoyable. Camping at the grizzly gulch TH was also phenomenal. Great views and great people! And why not knock out Redcloud and Sunshine while your at it!? The shelf road up is an experience as well, but coming from Oklahoma I don't get to see many roads like that. Hope you have a great summer, maybe I will see you on Uncompahgre or San Luis!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Most years there will be some snow well into June.