Easy 13er around Durango

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Delorean_Man
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Easy 13er around Durango

Post by Delorean_Man »

Im looking for an easy 13er around the Durango area to take my 6 yo to the top. Anybody have sone ideas? Thanks for the help
I would rather sit on a mountain and think about God than sit in church and think about the mountains.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Easy 13er around Durango

Post by geojed »

Check out the Grand Turk and Sultan Mtn near Molas Pass. Its's somewhat off-trail but easy class 2.
http://www.summitpost.org/grand-turk/824749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.summitpost.org/sultan-mountain/150856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm looking for peaks to take my 5yo this summer too! :D. Just got him some hiking boots from STP.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Doleres Peak or Middle Peak near by it. http://www.summitpost.org/dolores-peak/153521" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
geojed wrote:Just got him some hiking boots from STP.
Don't get worked too hard.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Delorean_Man
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Delorean_Man »

Thanks for the mountains. Now I just have to pick which one. My son has been asking all winter when we can go back out to the mountians. He has had a lot of fun "training" wuth me. :-)
I would rather sit on a mountain and think about God than sit in church and think about the mountains.
HULKHIKEGOOD
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by HULKHIKEGOOD »

Instead of starting a whole new thread, does anyone have suggestions for easy climbs near Lake City? I will be taking the family there sometime late July or early August for a camping trip and want to get the kids to the top of somthing. Kids are 7,6,5,4. Just need somthing that wont discourage them, thanks in advance!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Instead of starting a whole new thread, does anyone have suggestions for easy climbs near Lake City? I will be taking the family there sometime late July or early August for a camping trip and want to get the kids to the top of somthing. Kids are 7,6,5,4. Just need somthing that wont discourage them, thanks in advance!
In that area, how long many hikes are depends on what type of vehicle you have. What will you be driving?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
HULKHIKEGOOD
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by HULKHIKEGOOD »

Scott P wrote:
In that area, how long many hikes are depends on what type of vehicle you have. What will you be driving?

A BEASTLY 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan!!! Soooo rough roads are out!
kamiller43
14ers: 42 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kamiller43 »

While technically not a 13er, Engineer Mountain has just about everything that you would want. It's great for kids that are ok with one very short (10 ft) of exposure. There is a short approach and great views from the top. Close to town too.
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

Hesperus peak in the la platas and/or +1 for sultan / grand turk. Engineer is great but that crux is pretty spicy for a kid I would think.
mr14ner
14ers: 24 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mr14ner »

Thought I should post a warning on Hesperus peak, it's not an easy 13ner (steep and lots of loose rock). I don't recommend it for a 6yr old. Highly recommend trying nearby Centennial peak instead.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

mr14ner wrote:Thought I should post a warning on Hesperus peak, it's not an easy 13ner. Highly recommend trying nearby Centennial peak instead.
For the OP: I agree with this. The bushwhacking portion of the Hesperus hike isn't fun, either.
Centennial is easier and much more straightforward, but you need a little clearance (Subaru, minimum) to get to the TH for both it and Hesperus.
Sultan+/- Grand Turk seems like the best option given thus far.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

Depending on what you consider close and your vehicle, there are plenty of good options. As for 13ers in the La Platas, they are not going to be friendly for a 6 year old; however, if you like the La Platas, there are several good 12ers that would make for good hikes. These include Cumberland, Indian Trail Ridge and Snowstorm.

For 2 hour drive, I would highly recommend Delores and Middle Mountain southwest of Telluride.

In addition to what has been suggested, perhaps your best bet for several choices are near Silverton. These include:
"Bonita" Peak via Minnehaha gulch.
Houghton Mountain 13,052
Tuttle Mountain 13,203
Brown Mountain 13,339
Point 13,075
Hanson Peak 13,454

Plenty of fine peaks.