Which 14er do you fear the most?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Which 14er do you fear the most?

Post by Jim Davies »

It's interesting that Crestone Needle hasn't been mentioned much (if at all) in this thread. I'm pretty sure it's had more casualties than any other 14er in the past decade.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Post by kansas »

Jim Davies wrote:It's interesting that Crestone Needle hasn't been mentioned much (if at all) in this thread. I'm pretty sure it's had more casualties than any other 14er in the past decade.
I think the majority of deaths on the Needle are from getting off route or falls, things that are in the climbers control. The mountains that people fear (like Little Bear) kill you via means you have little control over. There is a big difference between a difficult route and a dangerous one.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Quite true about the perception of control (whether correct or not). Here's an analogy in skiing: the recent Post series about ski resort accidents prompted a big flamewar on a ski forum, mostly about drunk skiers, collisions, and rude snowboarders. Only about 3% of skier deaths in the past 5 years were because of collisions. The typical ski resort accidental death is a 37-year-old experienced male skier (not snowboarder) who falls on a groomed blue run and slides into a tree. I'm sure most of those in that discussion feel it can't happen to them, as they're in control.

I wonder how often accidents are caused by climbers fleeing from lightning?
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
timberlinecolorado56
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timberlinecolorado56 »

This is a great thread! While the rock is loose on the Bells I found them very enjoyable hikes. I didn't do the traverse which is where it seems much of the trouble for hikers comes though. As far as Little Bear goes, I was only 14 when I hiked it so I think I was too young to fully understand the danger. Having 2 friends die on it and another family member have a close call since, I don't think I have the desire to do it again. Capitol is the only mountain I've had to turn back on but the exposure of the knife edge with an incoming storm did not sound like fun. With Snowmass, Mt. Wilson, the Needles, and El Diente ahead of me it definitely helps me to remember to give the mountains a lot of respect!
All creation declares the beauty and majesty of the Lord God Almighty.

"In his hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to him... come let us bow down in worship... for he is our God." Psalm 95:5-7
Wish I lived in CO
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

As many people have stated, Little Bear.

Some of my remaining peaks will have me concerned and get my attention, however LB is the one that I have any deep down concerns about safety. For that reason I'll be doing it as snow climb. Likely as a guided climb since Michigan does not offer much opportunity to learn the basics of snow climbing and I'm very a novice snow climber.

Snowmass I'm looking forward to and am considering it as a finisher. I'm a sucker for an overnight at a lake and Snowmass seems to fit the bill. The climbing portion of the standard route looks enjoyable, though I realize it is loose and there's been some fatalities up there.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Exiled Michigander »

Wish I lived in CO wrote:
Some of my remaining peaks will have me concerned and get my attention, however LB is the one that I have any deep down concerns about safety. For that reason I'll be doing it as snow climb. Likely as a guided climb since Michigan does not offer much opportunity to learn the basics of snow climbing and I'm very a novice snow climber.

How far are you from the U.P.? Wouldn't be quite the same, but you could probably learn the fundamentals of using crampons and an ice axe in Porcupine Mountains Wilderness . . . but much better to get out to Colorado in May or June and get some couloir climbs in!
KentonB
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

Exiled Michigander wrote:How far are you from the U.P.? Wouldn't be quite the same, but you could probably learn the fundamentals of using crampons and an ice axe in Porcupine Mountains Wilderness
The Porkies are pretty remote (and a long drive from almost anywhere), but there are areas all over the U.P. that would work... Marquette/Munising have some cliffs (and LOTS of snow)... as does the Keweenaw Penninsula. For trolls, I'm guessing Sleeping Bear Dunes might even work. :-)
KentonB
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

Yep, and Little Bear respected the daylights out of me! :-D
Wish I lived in CO
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

KentonB wrote:
Exiled Michigander wrote:How far are you from the U.P.? Wouldn't be quite the same, but you could probably learn the fundamentals of using crampons and an ice axe in Porcupine Mountains Wilderness
The Porkies are pretty remote (and a long drive from almost anywhere), but there are areas all over the U.P. that would work... Marquette/Munising have some cliffs (and LOTS of snow)... as does the Keweenaw Penninsula. For trolls, I'm guessing Sleeping Bear Dunes might even work. :-)
I'm in Bay City, flatest part of the state. I do travel to the U.P. 2 or 3x per year (and drive right thru Munising and Marquette, Porkies v. much out of the way), but usually I'm in a hurry to get to my destination with limited time off. Maybe I should pencil in an extra day sometime in Munising and have some fun on the snow and ice.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Little Bear! We were thinking of doing it in early June, but have no snow/ice climbing experience, so that might actually be worse. :/

Not looking forward to Snowmass, or Descending Mt. Wilson, or Pyramid either.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Billy the Kid »

I will say, one 14ers that I hiked that did make me a little bit nervous at the time, was actually Mt. of the Holy Cross. I had heard all the tales about people departing for this hike, only to never to be seen again. Obviously, I was not worried about the technical difficulty of this peak, but all the stories about it being the “Bermuda Triangle” were definitely in the back of my mind. Plus, I ended up hiking this peak alone, which only enhanced this feeling. In the end, everything went great and I had a beautiful day in the mountains. But when looking back on the experience, I was definitely extra careful and on full alert as to where I was and which direction I had ascended from! Of the peaks I have remaining, I am most excited about hiking Little Bear, as with most people on this tread…bring it on!!
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott
SuperiorTrailHiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SuperiorTrailHiker »

Wish I lived in CO wrote: I'm in Bay City, flatest part of the state.
No kidding - I grew up there. I never did much hiking when I lived in Michigan so my recommendations are slim, but hey - maybe you could go bouldering in the Alkali.