Shavano Angel Ski/ Avy Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
outsidemike
14ers: 32  8  3 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (3)

Shavano Angel Ski/ Avy Conditions

Post by outsidemike »

I'm looking to ski Shavano this Friday. Has anyone been up there lately? How is the Angel looking? Has anybody dug a pit recently in the area? Any updates/ advise would be welcome. Thanks!
"A climber's day always starts at the crux: getting out of bed."
mrburns
14ers: 20 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Shavano Angel Ski/ Avy Conditions

Post by mrburns »

Bump, I would be interested in this as well..Anyone?
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

Sorry I can't be of any help before Friday, but I will be driving past on Friday afternoon and was going to take a look at it (from a distance). I would appreciate some first hand info if you guys are up there Friday.

Thanks in advance.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
outsidemike
14ers: 32  8  3 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by outsidemike »

I'll be up there Friday- I guess a conditions report is due (if I can remember to)
"A climber's day always starts at the crux: getting out of bed."
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Good luck and please remember to post conditions. Preferrably with plenty of snow conditions photos of 13,000+.

I think that it is (or should be) an unwritten rule around here that if you seek out conditions info for a specific location, no one has any to offer any up, you go out to the specific location . . . then you should post up whatever conditions info you find. It's a two-way street that way.
habaceeba
14ers: 27 
13ers: 93 1 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by habaceeba »

:wft:
gregpeak
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gregpeak »

We skied the Angel today and it was in great shape. I did not see any signs of instability and the skiing was fantastic. The normal road to the trailhead is block by a big drift but the alternate route was passable. It had some snow and mud but not to bad. Both the angels arms extend all the way to their respective ridges. We chose her left arm (climbers right) and it goes all the way to a little over 13,000 ft. From there a line of snow goes to about 300 ft below the summit but it is pretty rough. There is a lot of snow up there and the skiing will be good for a while.
I'm just glad I don't live in a trailer.
Jimmy Buffet
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Justin9 »

Thanks for the good info. What is the alternate route to get to the trailhead to bypass the snow drift?
gregpeak
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gregpeak »

For the alternate route, instead of turning left on FR road 252, stay to the right and it takes you to the trailhead. It's a little longer but it always melts out sooner than the normal route. I think the road is 250A.
Jimmy Buffet
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

Last season there was reports of major treefall causing navigation issues, and lots of extra work on the approach to the Angel. Does anyone know if this mess has been cleaned up, or has the trail been rerouted?
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
gregpeak
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gregpeak »

They cleaned up all the downfall and the trail is clear. If you get off trail then there are still lots of downed trees but if you are able to stay on trail there is no problem.
Jimmy Buffet
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

gregpeak wrote:They cleaned up all the downfall and the trail is clear. If you get off trail then there are still lots of downed trees but if you are able to stay on trail there is no problem.

Thanks for the updated info!!
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson