Which 14er do you fear the most?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Which 14er do you fear the most?

Post by ChrisinAZ »

For me at least, the only part that really had me freaked out was upon gaining the ridge for the last 0.2 miles to the summit--essentially, where many of the fatalities have occurred. The trail in was long, but otherwise easy and gorgeous, the lake was spectacular, the willows not too much of a pain, and the scree slopes above the lake weren't that bad. The snowmass was actually mostly melted out when I was there, but with the snow experience I have now, it would no longer freak me out. I do recall one 500-pound boulder we managed to send sliding at one spot very low on the snowmass boulderfield, but that was more attributable to poor route-finding than anything.

We'll see how I feel upon returning. I remember being pretty freaked out by the Narrows and Homestretch on Longs the first time I climbed it 2 1/2 years ago, but after getting most of the other 14ers under my belt, both felt like an absolute breeze this past summer. That said, Longs is solid, solid rock...
wildlobo71 wrote:Snowmass was also really fun for me - it was my first real Class 3 climb, first real climb in snow with crampons, first time I ever had to throw my ice axe into a rock slot connected to two six-foot slings in order to pull myself up to the ridge to get past the bergshrunding top (I think that's the only time I ever will, too.) I love the hike to the lake, the logjam, everything was fun about it.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

For a long time it was Capitol for me. I've still yet to do it, but I've gotten a little more confident that I can handle at least the knife edge. Now I'd say I'm most nervous about LB and the Bells, just from reading TRs and hearing about the accidents/fatalities on those peaks, victims often being seasoned mountaineers. In contrast, I haven't read about nearly as many people falling off of Capitol.
What I'm most skiddish about, though, are the traverses. Especially LB/Blanca and the Bells.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

My wife. She is only 14, but she can get angry and mete out verbal spitfire like a 55 year old battle axe if I don't toe the line.
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Hungry Jack wins :bow:
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Hungry Jack wrote:My wife. She is only 14, but she can get angry and mete out verbal spitfire like a 55 year old battle axe if I don't toe the line.
Your wife is only 14?!?! I don't know what to say....
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Leap year gents... She was a leap year baby and let's just leave it there.
Michael J
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Michael J »

jaymz wrote:For a long time it was Capitol for me. I've still yet to do it, but I've gotten a little more confident that I can handle at least the knife edge. Now I'd say I'm most nervous about LB and the Bells, just from reading TRs and hearing about the accidents/fatalities on those peaks, victims often being seasoned mountaineers. In contrast, I haven't read about nearly as many people falling off of Capitol.
What I'm most skiddish about, though, are the traverses. Especially LB/Blanca and the Bells.

There have been surprisingly few accidents/deaths on Capitol. IMHO it is because it is much less well known to the general public than peaks like the Bells or Longs. I think the sheer numbers of people that will attempt those peaks whether they are qualified or not adds to the danger. Accidents/deaths in the hourglass on Little Bear are because of the slick rock with few handholds, but also from rockfall from above. No matter which direction the rockfall comes from, it all funnels into the hourglass. As far as Capitol goes, I think the majority of people that attempt it make it an overnight trip. In addition, it seems to garner a little more respect and therefore gives people a little more pause before an attempt. None of the Class 3's and 4's should be taken lightly and I'm so glad that we have this website and the wealth of information it offers. Knowledge is power right?

"I've often heard a voice call down to me
If you'd climb higher you'd find wondrous things to see..."
GeezerClimber
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

Michael J wrote:
jaymz wrote:For a long time it was Capitol for me. I've still yet to do it, but I've gotten a little more confident that I can handle at least the knife edge. Now I'd say I'm most nervous about LB and the Bells, just from reading TRs and hearing about the accidents/fatalities on those peaks, victims often being seasoned mountaineers. In contrast, I haven't read about nearly as many people falling off of Capitol.

There have been surprisingly few accidents/deaths on Capitol. IMHO it is because it is much less well known to the general public than peaks like the Bells or Longs. I think the sheer numbers of people that will attempt those peaks whether they are qualified or not adds to the danger. Accidents/deaths in the hourglass on Little Bear are because of the slick rock with few handholds, but also from rockfall from above. No matter which direction the rockfall comes from, it all funnels into the hourglass. As far as Capitol goes, I think the majority of people that attempt it make it an overnight trip. In addition, it seems to garner a little more respect and therefore gives people a little more pause before an attempt. None of the Class 3's and 4's should be taken lightly and I'm so glad that we have this website and the wealth of information it offers. Knowledge is power right?
I agree with your conjectures but I was wondering how many of LB's fatalities occur in the hourglass? I haven't read many particulars about LB accidents but I do know that some have occurred elsewhere on the mountain. Anyone care to elaborate? I'm also curious how many accidents happen in dry conditions? Loose rock can be a problem on Capitol. When we climbed it last summer, descending climbers warned us about people above knocking rock off. One guy had a near miss. We were lucky by being late and had the whole prism to ourselves up and down.

Dave
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Michael J wrote:There have been surprisingly few accidents/deaths on Capitol. IMHO it is because it is much less well known to the general public than peaks like the Bells or Longs.
Bells/Pyramid have possibly the most accessible TH http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailheads5.php which I think is a big factor. What other TH has bus service? :wft: The trail up to the N.Mar fork was pretty crowded when our worker grouped packed out, having to 'pull off' to yield to uphill hikers several, several times. All the ones I encountered in the gulleys were just day-hiking, could not have had the 10Es, and weren't dressed much different than those you run into on the sidewalks of Aspen on a warm summer day. Capitol's logistical buffer puts it outside the casual day-tripping orbits.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Michael J
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Michael J »

@ GeezerClimber - I don't have any idea how many of the accidents on LB happen in the hourglass although I know that a good deal of them do. It's just one of those places that deserves the utmost care and preparation. I went with some friends on a weekday and didn't have to worry about rockfall through the hourglass as we knew there was nobody above us. In fact we had more trouble in the gulley coming up from Lake Como because of the loose gravel and rocks. When I climbed Capitol, a good friend of mine was my guide. He was 65 and no spring chicken but in great shape for his age. He had climbed Capitol 4 times before because he grew up in the farm and ranching valley below. On his second attempt in 1978 with a group of 4 people they experienced "ball lightning" near the summit and quickly retreated. [I've also heard it called "St. Elmo's fire" among other things.] As he was headed back towards the knife edge somebody above kicked loose a rock about 3 feet in diameter and it was headed right towards him. It bounced and shattered but he was still clipped in the side of the face by a piece about a foot in diameter. He stepped in a hole trying to get away and the impact of the rock threw him out of the hole and broke his ankle. The bones around his eye socket were broken and he could only see out of the remaining eye. His friends elected to go for help but keep in mind that these were the days before cell phones and SAR. One of the group ran all the way back to the nearest farm house and called the Pitkin County Sheriff who then called for a military helicopter out of Ft. Carson. They picked him up by Capitol Lake. Can you imagine crossing the knife edge and getting around K-2 all alone with his injuries? My personal opinion is that these 2 peaks are head and shoulders above the rest in difficulty and [dare I say it] pucker factor.

"I've often heard a voice call down to me
If you'd climb higher you'd find wondrous things to see..."
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

I'm terrified of going back to Bross. Miners need to tear down the top couple hundred feet of that miserable gravel pile.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Bean wrote:I'm terrified of going back to Bross. Miners need to tear down the top couple hundred feet of that miserable gravel pile.
It's ain't so bad - try pegging a snowmobile to the top. Yeehah! O:)
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs