Colorado Springs Area Hiking--2 weeks

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Colorado Springs Area Hiking--2 weeks

Post by steelfrog »

Good morning. Well, I am headed to the Springs in a couple weeks to take The Boy to the OTC. Wanted to do my first winter stuff.

I have plenty of gear--snow shoes, ice axe, crampons, cold weather stuff, etc etc. The object is NOT to necessarily bag any peak, but to train using this gear for a while.

Any suggestions for best places to do this in the Springs area, or south on 25 down to Cuchara area?
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Colorado Springs Area Hiking--2 weeks

Post by Jim Davies »

Lots of good suggestions in this thread: http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=39145" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get a Pikes Peak Atlas (trail map). The best local gear shop is Mountain Chalet, on Tejon Street downtown.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Jim Davies
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Oh, wait, you want to do winter stuff. Sorry, we don't get enough snow here to need an ice axe anywhere except near the top of Pikes Peak. I usually go to the Tenmile/Mosquito range to get my spring snow fix.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

So, could I just take 24/9 over there to Fairplay and do something? What would be good over there?
Jim Davies
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

My personal favorite is Father Dyer-Crystal-Peak 10 from Spruce Creek TH south of Breckenridge. Cristo Couloir on the side of Quandary is popular (I haven't done it myself). There are a couple of easy snow climbs on Silverheels - go up Hoosier Ridge from Hoosier Pass, drop down near a connecting ridge with powerlines, climb obvious snow. Various stuff up Fourmile Creek/Leavick approach around Horseshoe or Sherman.

March is still kind of early, though. Snow is safer/easier/better around May. I'm also kind of a wimp on this stuff, as every Spring I need to convince myself over again that hiking on snowfields is a good thing. It usually is. :)
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

Actually, the back (West) side of Pikes Peak often has enough snow for some good snowshoeing. I'm not sure most of the standard trails would require an Ice Axe, but I'm sure there are areas up there you could practice using one.

That said, I have not been "over the mountain" yet this year... Other's may be able to report on conditions.

Generally though, the Crags, Horsethief Park, and the west end of Gold Camp Road have a number of great hiking options with plenty of snow.
Jim Davies
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Good point, I missed the "snowshoes" thing too. My reading skills aren't good today.

I've snowshoed Horsethief Park to both Pancake Rocks and up the Sentinel Point route (although not this year). Both usually have enough snow to be worth taking the shoes. Never felt confident enough to drive to the Crags trailhead in the winter, though.
aaronmojica
14ers: 23  4 
13ers: 14 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aaronmojica »

I can chime in on the Cuchara area. There is good snowshoeing (and other snow travel modes) to be had. There are a couple Forest Service roads going up into the mountains that are closed or not plowed in the winter. You can access the Southern Sangre ridges from these and have plenty of opportunities to break out the ice axe. It is a beautiful and un-populated area.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Do the "big one" Pikes Peak. At least consider the cogway and walk around a bit on top.
Or drive up to Devils Playground and five mile hike. This is a bit tight this time of year because the road is open just 6 hours. That leaves maybe just a little over four hours to do the hike in partial snow conditions and putter around the summit sights. You'll most likely need traction (microspikes) for the final talus park of the hike at this time of year.
Both methods are subject to snow closures for another couple months.
ptyrg
14ers: 34  4 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ptyrg »

The Y or Railroad coulior on the north face of pikes is a great outing. You can drive up to the Devils playground, Go down the Rumdoodle ridge,(class 3), to the bottomless pit, Then climb to the top,of Pikes, via the Y or Railroad coulior, then hike the road back to the car. ( you will want ice ax and crampons for this one) (Check Avy conditions).
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

I personally would not recommend the Y or Railroad couloirs in two weeks, these almost never come into shape until late April or May due to there north facing aspects. With the weather turning more spring like you could try and find some south facing stuff that might consolidate in two weeks, but again carefully study of the snowpack.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Congrats on your boy going to the Olympic Training Center.

If you're interested in local ice climbing North Cheyenne Canyon is close. I live up near the USAFA so my favorite ice climbing spot was Stanley Canyon. Stanley Canyon did not get burned but unfortunately it has been closed off since the Waldo Canyon fire. Hopefully they open it soon.

Highly recommend the Incline for a quick workout. I occasionally see some of the OTC folks training there...