What are your Summer 13er goals?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

What are your Summer 13er goals?

Post by Kent McLemore »

I only get one short trip to the mountains this summer, but I intend to make the most of it. First some day trips into the uber hip Gore Range for Mt. Silverthorne and maybe back into Deluge Basin for Valhalla and "Hail Peak." Then its down to the Sangres for a backpack into the Sand Lakes area. There I'll aim for Tijeras, Music, and maybe Milwaukee and Pico Aislado. What are your 13er plans this year?
-km
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: What are your Summer 13er goals?

Post by TravelingMatt »

Oooh, I was waiting for this one. :) My goals are more general in nature.

Front Range: About 10 peaks, mostly in RMNP, likely over three or four outings.

Gore: Three to five peaks, including C and North Traverse. I've done most of the dayhikable 13ers.

Sawatch: 15-20 peaks. Very interested in the northern/western areas of the range.

Sangres: I have more specific goals here. Looking at California and some of the ridge runs near the Crestones and Spanish Peaks. Maybe 10 peaks total, 2-3 trips.

Elk: Want to hit at least one centennial and Treasury Mountain. Also West Elk if it's convenient.

San Juan: Hope to get at least 15-20 peaks. Most interested in the Grenadiers, the Carson Peak area, Pole Creek Mountain, the area between Ophir Pass and Vermilion, and if I can get down there, the La Platas.

So in all that's 60-70 peaks, which would put me around 200 ranked 13ers by year's end.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

Not much for me, honestly--I'll be too focused on other stuff. Getting Summit, Bennett, and Conejos (all county HPs) along with the other two 13ers near Summit would be nice, as it'd knock out that entire sub-range of the San Juans for me. Hopefully will be able to give Bushnell another shot too, this time from the boring and steep western side. It'd be great to sneak Powell and Peak C in at some point, but those may have to wait another summer.

The rest are likely to be climbed along with 14ers...P13248 and Holy Cross Ridge on the way up Holy Cross, maybe Huerfano. Bald and Jacque, perhaps, as rainy-day P2Ks.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

We'll see how it all pans out over the course of the spring/summer/fall. I am thinking I will hit the 2/3 mark of total 13ers, (390/584), I only need 39 to get there but I am running out of close ones! Would like to get to 400 this year, but that may be a stretch unless I get a lot of San Juan trips! I have realized that I am reaching the point where new 13ers are going to slow down. Good thing the repeats near me are pretty cool ones.

Realistic Goals by Range, my aim is to achieve 3 of these milestones this year:

Front: 5 or 6 new ones, hopefully finish the ones in RMNP (I have 4 left there)
Sawatch: Finish my remaining 12
Elk: 9 new to get me to half
Sangre: 11 new to get me to 50
San Juan: 19 new to get me to half
Plus-
Gore: Repeats with friends, plus some unrankeds on the Ripsaw
Tenmile/Mosquito: Maybe some repeats when I don't feel like long drives

No real specific peaks in mind, just making trips to each range for as many new peaks and fun repeats as I can! I have a few plans for some specific peaks based on things some friends want to do, such as Isolation, Ridgeway/Whitehouse, Rosalie/Epaulie and the "Billy Traverse". I would like to get "Castleabra" and Organ as well, they are my only 2 remaining "ranked" peaks above 13,800.

Out of state I will probably take a week long trip at some point and am hoping that will somehow involve "Ultra Prominence" peaks, maybe the High Uintah for Kings and some of its neighbors? Maybe Wheeler in Nevada with some other stuff? Cloud Peak? Wind Rivers? Haven't planned out a trip yet, just some early ideas.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

Excellent thread! Because those of you who can count higher than 58 all know:
Matt Lemke wrote:13ers are better.
My 13er goals are many. Some priorities include:

Finishing the Sangre and Sawatch centennials.

More Gore (not sure which).

Revisiting Hagues and Mummy.

Meeker via Iron Gates.

Other RMNP 13ers.
ChrisinAZ wrote:Getting Summit, Bennett, and Conejos (all county HPs)
^ This. When can you make the trip dude?

And most importantly, my goal is to not finish the 14ers.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Three Apostles
Meeker via Iron Gates
Lose my Gore virginity
Fuller/Vermilion/Golden Horn
Ouray
Half
Cronin
Navajo
Buffalo Peaks
California
Alice
Silverheels
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

My goals are pretty vague, but I'd like to get 100 new ranked 13ers this year. Did 67 last year, so it's feasible with plenty of fat ridge runs left to do. Probably will take a few long weekends roaming the state, hitting all the major ranges. More or less, where ever the weather forecast is best, I'll go! Pretty soon the new ones will become harder to attain at such rates, like Chicago Transplant says.
Brian Thomas wrote:And most importantly, my goal is to not finish the 14ers.
Hmmm my goal is to not finish the Centennials, yet :lol: :P
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I'll limit my response to 13er's, I also have plans other than 13er's for this year.

If time/health/home life allow:

-Would like to try for Coxcomb via the North Face route. I tried Coxcomb a couple of years back via the standard route and did not summit (too snowy/icy) but I really wasn't impressed at all with the approach and what I little of the route I climbed. The North Face looks more direct and interesting.

-If time allows, this summer I'd like to explore a potentially new route on Jagged. Jagged in the winter has become sort of an obsession of mine (barring the unforeseen, I'm skiing into the drainage this weekend for a recon; won't try for the summit due to avalanche conditions). I've looked at a ton of photos and fragments of somewhat obscure trip reports and think (?) there is a route that could be a relatively safe winter route. But I think the way to go is to explore it first in summer, then go back in the winter and try for it. Work is really interfering with my 2012 winter plans so far, so it probably won't happen this winter. But maybe...

Other than that, lots of other plans, here's to hoping they pan out.
-Tom
John Landers
Trip Reports (1)

Post by John Landers »

A few in particular, plus any others nearby and some Gore range peaks.

Silver Mountain - 13,714’
Unnamed 13,681’
White Dome
Peak One
Redcliff
Mt. Jackson
Clark Peak
Unnamed 13,581’
Unnamed 13,580’
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

Assuming I don't get too distracted with rock climbing or get injured, I would like to hopefully finish the 13ers this summer before September. Most of the peaks left are all reasonable and are equally spread across the state (% per range). It's been an incredible 15 year endeavor and I kinda of wish the journey wouldn't have to end.

Based on my yearly average and what I have estimated left in terms of my mileage/gain to finish, this goal should be obtainable.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

More.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

Unofficial 13ers
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."