Lincoln/Bross route question

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jdawud
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Lincoln/Bross route question

Post by jdawud »

Some of the wording I've read in the other thread and in other web searches leaves me wondering. The signs (apparently at the junction and near the TH) that say the Bross trail is closed are NFS signs, not privately placed signs. Really what I'm getting at is: has any LANDOWNER said "no", or are the parties that are working to SECURE ACCESS (CFI, NFS, TMI, etc), worried about pissing off a landowner they can't locate who will in turn ACTIVELY deny access. A totally valid concern.

To be clear, I'm not trying to start a discussion about private property / whether you do or don't think it's ok to tresspass / fees / punishments / imminent domain / whatever. If you are one that thinks ignoring private property is ok, i think you aught to at least have the sense not to advertise it.
Junaid 'Speshul 41' Dawud
http://www.14ersthruhike.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SteveBonowski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SteveBonowski »

Has any landowner (of Bross) said "no?" Answer is "yes."

Regarding if the signs are USFS signs vs. privately placed, the kiosk at the Kite Lake trailhead was installed by CFI several years ago; with funding, design work, and construction assistance provided by the CMC. The sign up high at the trail junction to the Bross trail was placed, also several years ago, by CFI. The family that owns Lincoln, Democrat, half of Bross, was consulted during the signage process.

Just wondering if the guy on the ATV who said he belonged to a family owning part of Bross gave a name? This would be helpful to know.

The access issue for Bross isn't dead, but will take a lot of work. Conversations are starting up again. And to repeat, the names of all owners, including the fractional owners, are known.
jdawud
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jdawud »

Thanks Steve, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I hope the talks are fruitful.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The last time we were up there, we ran into a guy on an ATV who said his family partially owned one of the Bross summit claims, and he wanted to see it. We asked him for permission to go to the summit and he said "sure".
Same thing happened when we were there (probably the same guy). He was telling all climbers to go ahead and climb to the summit.
Last edited by Scott P on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

SteveBonowski wrote:Just wondering if the guy on the ATV who said he belonged to a family owning part of Bross gave a name? This would be helpful to know.
Sorry, it was about three years ago and I don't think he said. He did say he was visiting from out of state (I think Kansas).

I do appreciate the effort you and others are putting in to get this resolved, Steve. I hope my nitpicking doesn't come across as criticism, as I know how hard people are working on this.

FWIW, South Bross is on public land, if you need a substitute 14er summit, jdawud. Getting to it from the public trail without trespassing would be tricky, but should be possible. Here is a suggestion Bill made last year about this:
http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 3&p=408554" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
jdawud
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jdawud »

I've looked at Bills post on the "public summit", and that's what I'll probably do. I was hoping that perhaps the issue was close to being resolved, which was my reason for posting on this thread originally.

The problem is I "need" to climb Bross to complete my 14ers thru hike this summer. Since the "public summit" is soooooo close to the true summit and is only 25' lower (still 14k+), I think I will consider it valid to report it as "summited". I don't think there will be any way to do it without catching crap from people, the 'purists' will say that I should have trespassed, the law abiders will hang me if I do.

In the long distance backpacking community we say "hike your own hike", well I'll just have to "climb my own climb" too.

----Junaid
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

jdawud wrote:The problem is I "need" to climb Bross to complete my 14ers thru hike this summer. Since the "public summit" is soooooo close to the true summit and is only 25' lower (still 14k+), I think I will consider it valid to report it as "summited". I don't think there will be any way to do it without catching crap from people, the 'purists' will say that I should have trespassed, the law abiders will hang me if I do.
I'm sure most people wouldn't consider 25' a big deal, especially on a mountain like Bross. I've not done it yet, but it looks like the terrain is about as easy as you can get.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I don't think there will be any way to do it without catching crap from people, the 'purists' will say that I should have trespassed, the law abiders will hang me if I do.
I wouldn't worry about the "purist" if they really do complain. Technically, on Kanchenjunga until recently, you were supposed to stop a few feet away from the summit in respect to the locals feelings that the mountain is sacred. For decades, the true summit remained untrodden until someone intentionally broke the pact. All those people stopping a few feet from the summit out of respect still got credit for the peak. The first ascent of Kanchenjunga is always quoted as being in 1955. The deal was that you were to climb as high as possible to a point that you were 100% positive you were to reach the summit if you wanted to. Expeditions stopped 15-20 feet from the summit.
Sorry, it was about three years ago and I don't think he said. He did say he was visiting from out of state (I think Kansas).
Was it on July 4, 2009 by chance? Just wondering if it was the same incident.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Last edited by bonehead on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

bonehead wrote:From Urban Dictionary "jdawud" isn't defined yet.
Try searching users at 14ers.com? Or I am missing the subtle saracasm again? :shock: #-o
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

So are there any access issues if I want to try Democrat's North Ridge this summer?
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Scott P wrote:
Was it on July 4, 2009 by chance? Just wondering if it was the same incident.
No, it was September 26, 2010. There are a lot of fractional Bross owners out there, I guess. :)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump