Boot resole

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
User avatar
PeteDunnewald
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:57 am

Boot resole

Postby PeteDunnewald » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Does anyone have any experience (and hopefully good results) with replacing the soles on your hiking boots? It seems like a shame to toss them when the rest of the boot still seems to be in good shape.

Pete
User avatar
ski2bfree13
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:52 pm

Re: Boot resole

Postby ski2bfree13 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:33 pm

I've had good luck with Dardano's in replacing Vibram soles.

www.dardanos.com/
"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end is disaster." ~ Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
User avatar
DaveSwink
Posts: 892
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Boot resole

Postby DaveSwink » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:54 pm

Approximately how much did a Vibram boot resole cost?
DaveLanders
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Boot resole

Postby DaveLanders » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:08 pm

I've been using Komito's in Estes Park for many years. It usually costs $50-60 for a resole;
obviously much cheaper than a new pair of boots.
User avatar
GregMiller
Posts: 966
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: Boot resole

Postby GregMiller » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:47 pm

I've used Perry's Shoe Shop up in Boulder, and I think it was somewhere in the $40-$50 range. I had the same thing where my soles were worn flat, but the rest of the boot was fine (this happens with vibrams).

EDIT to say, I've been very happy with the results so far.
User avatar
Fisching
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Boot resole

Postby Fisching » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:49 pm

DaveSwink wrote:Approximately how much did a Vibram boot resole cost?


I called a few shops around Colorado Springs this summer and the general price range was $55-65 for Vibram.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
User avatar
rijaca
Posts: 2693
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:36 pm

Re: Boot resole

Postby rijaca » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:53 pm

There is a place in Golden on S Golden Rd (can't remember the name) that has charged me $60 in the past to replace Vibram soles on boots.
"Well a couple shots of whiskey, women `round here start looking good"
User avatar
Jon Frohlich
Posts: 2158
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Boot resole

Postby Jon Frohlich » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:50 pm

DaveLanders wrote:I've been using Komito's in Estes Park for many years. It usually costs $50-60 for a resole;
obviously much cheaper than a new pair of boots.


I've used him more than once and had great results. Neptune's will send boots to him so you don't have to drive to Estes Park. It usually takes about 7-10 days.
User avatar
carson_h
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Boot resole

Postby carson_h » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:58 pm

Don't use Rocky Mountain Resole in Salida. They actually damaged my double boots then refused to even give me a refund on the resole!
User avatar
Weegie5
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:52 pm

Re: Boot resole

Postby Weegie5 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:54 pm

rijaca wrote:There is a place in Golden on S Golden Rd (can't remember the name) that has charged me $60 in the past to replace Vibram soles on boots.

That's B & Be Shoe Repair. That guy (I forget his name) does great work on all shoes. I took my hiking boots there after the sole blew out on Rainier and he restored them. He waterproofed that same pair for me as well. He's also done some great work for some of my non-hiking footwear, like dress shoes.

I highly recommend B & Be.
~James
User avatar
Waggs
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:32 pm

Re: Boot resole

Postby Waggs » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:55 pm

Fisching wrote:
DaveSwink wrote:Approximately how much did a Vibram boot resole cost?


I called a few shops around Colorado Springs this summer and the general price range was $55-65 for Vibram.


Which shops did you call? Mine need to be resoled, and I've been thinking about sending them to this dude.

He seems to have a phenomenal reputation.

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach
User avatar
realhillboarding
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:49 am
Contact:

Re: Boot resole

Postby realhillboarding » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:48 pm

Waggs wrote:
Fisching wrote:
DaveSwink wrote:Approximately how much did a Vibram boot resole cost?


I called a few shops around Colorado Springs this summer and the general price range was $55-65 for Vibram.


Which shops did you call? Mine need to be resoled, and I've been thinking about sending them to this dude.

He seems to have a phenomenal reputation.

Waggs


Dave Page resoled my Asolo Powermatics and did a great job, but its the only pair of boots I've had resoled so I don't have anything to compare to.

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests