Mountain Unicycling

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
justiner
Posts: 1623
Joined: 8/28/2010
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (32)
Contact:

Re: Mountain Unicycling

Postby justiner » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:50 pm

Scott has some pretty good reports on 14ers he's ridden up:

http://www.topofusion.com/diary/2011/08/24/altitude-binge-mountain-biking-14ers/

I'm a little perplexed at the report of unicycling up Grays/Torreys - not that I don't think it's possible, except that it may not be kosher legally. From memory, I do believe the summer trailhead sign does say, "no bikes" - or more basically, no mechanized/motorized vehicles and I'm not sure if I'm supportive of the idea of going against that. There's a lot of opportunities in doing similar things around the area - Mt. McClellan, Argentine Pass, etc - and other 14ers that are fair game: Evans (road) Pikes Peak (road/Barr Trail), Elbert, Antero, parts of the Decalbrion, etc
The Long Ranger | STRAVA | Instagram

"A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
― Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire
User avatar
ameristrat
Posts: 658
Joined: 2/21/2011
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (26)

Re: Mountain Unicycling

Postby ameristrat » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:20 pm

I biked the knife edge on Capitol once. No one saw it of course - such is how it goes for such impossible feats.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
User avatar
Dancesatmoonrise
Posts: 2142
Joined: 9/25/2009
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (43)

Re: Mountain Unicycling

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:32 pm

justiner wrote:Scott has some pretty good reports on 14ers he's ridden up:

http://www.topofusion.com/diary/2011/08/24/altitude-binge-mountain-biking-14ers/

I'm a little perplexed at the report of unicycling up Grays/Torreys - not that I don't think it's possible, except that it may not be kosher legally. From memory, I do believe the summer trailhead sign does say, "no bikes" - or more basically, no mechanized/motorized vehicles and I'm not sure if I'm supportive of the idea of going against that. There's a lot of opportunities in doing similar things around the area - Mt. McClellan, Argentine Pass, etc - and other 14ers that are fair game: Evans (road) Pikes Peak (road/Barr Trail), Elbert, Antero, parts of the Decalbrion, etc


Image

Justin, thanks for the link. Very cool.
Perhaps this summer I'll give Elbert, Antero, and/or the Decalibron a try. I've already done Evans years ago as a race. And Pikes Peak, many times in years past. Surprised this year to find a portion of the approach on some of the winter 14ers can be uniquely suited to biking, and hope to do more.

For anyone interested, I've implemented a bike logo (above) which can be placed at the beginning of a report for which a portion is done by bike. I put an example in my Lindsey and Baldy Alto reports from January. (You have to open the report to see it.) Bill, hope you're ok with this - just having fun with graphics - and don't have a damned thing else to do tonight. Yeah, I know, I need to get a life. Or a wife, one of the two.)

Anyway, bikey's, feel free copy it and use it in your reports. Right click on the logo, go to properties, then copy the URL, paste it into the report, highlight it, and click on "image" in the TR page.




Jim
User avatar
TallGrass
Posts: 1901
Joined: 6/29/2012
14er Checklist Not Entered
13er Checklist (16)

Re: Mountain Unicycling

Postby TallGrass » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Here's the new bike icon. Use it to designate any 14ers for which you've biked at least 25% of the route. Image


Too many wheels. :)

Image Image Image Image
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
User avatar
Dancesatmoonrise
Posts: 2142
Joined: 9/25/2009
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (43)

Re: Mountain Unicycling

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:55 pm

TallGrass wrote:
Too many wheels. :)


Disability accomodations for us mortals that need an extra wheel out front. :-D
User avatar
gdthomas
Posts: 2046
Joined: 6/15/2005
14er Checklist (58)

Re: Mountain Unicycling

Postby gdthomas » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:58 am

ameristrat wrote:I biked the knife edge on Capitol once. No one saw it of course - such is how it goes for such impossible feats.


Is this you?

http://screen.yahoo.com/motorcycle-ridge-riding-084000429.html
User avatar
ameristrat
Posts: 658
Joined: 2/21/2011
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (26)

Re: Mountain Unicycling

Postby ameristrat » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:33 pm

gdthomas wrote:
ameristrat wrote:I biked the knife edge on Capitol once. No one saw it of course - such is how it goes for such impossible feats.


Is this you?

http://screen.yahoo.com/motorcycle-ridge-riding-084000429.html


That's intense!!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests