Winter Hiking Needs

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
RoanMtnMan
14er Checklist (45)

Re: Winter Hiking Needs

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:26 pm

Dex wrote:
I went to the site.

http://www.whittakermountaineering.com/shop-by-summit/rainier

"Most backpacks have a pocket on the side to hold a bottle and those pockets were designed to accommodate a Nalgene bottle because hikers have trusted Nalgene for over twenty years."

http://www.whittakermountaineering.com/shop-by-summit/denali

Does something need clarification with the system? Carrying your hydration bottle in your pack next to your back is what one should do in cold weather to limit freezing. Apologies, but I am confused on your point. I don't currently have any affiliation with Whittaker Mountaineering, it's just one of the few places in the states where you can get that particular setup that I know of. If they give bad info, that is their problem, but the system has worked for me in some pretty harsh environments.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com
RoanMtnMan
14er Checklist (45)

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:40 pm

It is a funny comment coming from the Whittakers of all people. Last I checked they still own Rainier, de facto. But yes, obviously do not carry your water bottle externally in a cold environment.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

ThuChad
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby ThuChad » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Has anyone constructed their own Nalgene insulator sleeve? It seems like throwing it in a sock with a hand warmer would work for most situations but surely someone has gotten a little craftier than that.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
RoanMtnMan
14er Checklist (45)

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:21 pm

ThuChad wrote:Has anyone constructed their own Nalgene insulator sleeve? It seems like throwing it in a sock with a hand warmer would work for most situations but surely someone has gotten a little craftier than that.

A creative solution for occasional trips. I would go with an old wool sock, tape two hard warmers around the lower part of the bottle and maybe one on the bottom. I haven't tried it but it should work. If you get out a lot, it may be more economical to find a more permanent system though.

Folks have been known to successfully turn old closed cell foam pads into water bottle insulators. If you have one laying around, the cost comes down to duct tape.

ak47
14er Checklist (44)
13er Checklist (13)

Postby ak47 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:42 am

I always carry a thermos of hot water or tea, it will never freeze.
Scott P
14er Checklist (46)
14ers in Winter (16)
13er Checklist (30)

Postby Scott P » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:50 am

Has anyone constructed their own Nalgene insulator sleeve? It seems like throwing it in a sock with a hand warmer would work for most situations but surely someone has gotten a little craftier than that.

It may work on some days, but I'd guess it wouldn't work at all on a cold day (and some days are in the -30's in the mountains). I've had Nalgenes freeze while wrapped in a seperate down coat while also tucked inside the down coat I was wearing. An insulated thermos is the way to go on those cold days.

Here is a little experiement at around 0F.

http://www.summitpost.org/cold-weather-test-for-water-bottles/346816
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
chrismjx
14er Checklist (7)

Postby chrismjx » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:20 pm

Djslais wrote:hey chris, did you make it to RMNP? If so, how were the conditions?

Alright, made it up there today, not quite all the way to the Loch, but close. Beautiful day for being out hiking! :-D The trail is in pretty darn good shape and has obviously seen a lot of traffic. It's packed snow the whole way, although the packed area gets much narrower as you get higher up. We brought gaiters and microspikes, and definitely didn't need them at all, but it was nice to have them. We saw people in everything from street clothes and leather boots, to full-on winter gear with snowshoes etc. We would've been totally fine in zip-offs and just our regular hiking shoes I think...

If someone can instruct me on how to insert images here, I will post the pics I got. When I click the "Img" button, it just inserts HTML code, and I don't have an image hosting site or anything... Can't I just upload?
Somewhat of a Prick
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (13)

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:03 am

randalmartin wrote:I will never take a Camelback on a winter trip again. Even with blowing out the line after every use I have found little bits of water remaining in the area around the mouthpiece, those freeze and build up. Way too much risk. I typically take a 1 liter REI insulated thermos of something hot, another liter of water or sports drink in my pack. You can get heat patches (similar to the hand warmers but with a sticky side) and attach to your water bottle(s) for an extra measure of security and so that you are not drinking ice cold water (which quickly lowers your core temperature).

http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Products-Tycoon-Hydration-100-Ounce/dp/B00598GW6Y/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1357916594&sr=8-15&keywords=winter+camelbak

Winning
Catalyst
14er Checklist (10)
13er Checklist (7)

Postby Catalyst » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 am

I've got a question about a layering system, and thought I would get some advice before going and spending a lot of money on jackets. Putting it in here instead of starting a new thread because there already seem to be so many related to this stuff.

How does this sound for a winter condition layering system for upper body.

Silk-weight Baselayer
Long sleeve Patagonia Capilene
fleece
Arcteryx gamma mx hoody
marmot oracle or marmot precip or patagonia torrentshell

Thanks
Matt
DaveSwink
14er Checklist (37)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (4)

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:49 am

Catalyst wrote:How does this sound for a winter condition layering system for upper body.

Silk-weight Baselayer
Long sleeve Patagonia Capilene
fleece
Arcteryx gamma mx hoody
marmot oracle or marmot precip or patagonia torrentshell

Looks pretty good. Minor tweeks:
Leave out the fleece or you will be too hot while moving. Carry a hooded puffy layer to throw on when you stop longer than two - three minutes, or if it is really, really cold (below 0 degrees).
Trade the silk-weight baselayer for a baselayer with a hood, 1/4 zip, and thumb loops.
Be sure your Capilene has a zip to allow greater temperature flexibility.
Last edited by DaveSwink on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
GregMiller
14er Checklist (30)
14ers Skied (4)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (18)

Postby GregMiller » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:56 am

I'll second the hooded layer recommendation, I used to wonder just how useful it was until I got one with a hood, it's amazing. Fits under a helmet, does most of the job of a balaclava for me, it's amazing.

Get the Patagonia R1 hoody if you want to be super warm, or be like I did and find the Eddie Bauer FA one if you want something a little lighter or want to save some money if you find it on sale.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
metalmountain
14er Checklist (35)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (26)

Postby metalmountain » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:57 am

Somewhat of a prick wrote:
randalmartin wrote:I will never take a Camelback on a winter trip again. Even with blowing out the line after every use I have found little bits of water remaining in the area around the mouthpiece, those freeze and build up. Way too much risk. I typically take a 1 liter REI insulated thermos of something hot, another liter of water or sports drink in my pack. You can get heat patches (similar to the hand warmers but with a sticky side) and attach to your water bottle(s) for an extra measure of security and so that you are not drinking ice cold water (which quickly lowers your core temperature).

http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Products-Tycoon-Hydration-100-Ounce/dp/B00598GW6Y/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1357916594&sr=8-15&keywords=winter+camelbak

Winning

The problem is the mouth pieces will still freeze. When you start getting below zero temps its basically impossible to keep them from freezing. Once its gets down in the teens (wind chill or temp) I stop using my camelback. Its just too much of a hassle in my opinion. Once the mouthpiece freezes up solid good luck getting it thawed out.

My go to method now is that I take my camelback bladder and store it as normal in my pack, I just disconnect the hose. The heat from my body seems to keep it from freezing up. Then I take my nalgene bottle, fill it up then wrap it in my extra fleece layer. The nalgene did start icing up after a few hours though. Once the nalgene is empty I just pull out the bladder and fill it back up. Was out at Mills Lake ice climbing Sunday in below zero temps all day and nothing froze up.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”