Mt Massive - Best Route

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DenneyR
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt Massive - Best Route

Post by DenneyR »

I'm looking for some input to help me decide which route to take when I hike Mt Massive next summer.

What is your opinion on the Standard East Slopes vs the Southwest Slopes.

Thanks for taking time to respond
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt Massive - Best Route

Post by screeman57 »

Standard route is longer, with a gentler approach, while the Southwest slopes is shorter and steeper. Personally, I prefer the Southwest slopes--it's much less crowded and more scenic. Consider, also, the North ridge from Windsor Lake (past the fish hatchery). That's a spectacular way to experience the mountain, and gets you a few of the other summits. There's a little bit of low-class scrambling on the ridge (mainly on North Massive).

Why not do all of them?
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Check out this thread on Massive's routes from a few months ago and hopefully that can help answer your question!
XC Snowboarder
14ers: 58  58  5 
13ers: 101 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XC Snowboarder »

+1 for the Tour including N Massive
DenneyR
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DenneyR »

screeman57 wrote:Standard route is longer, with a gentler approach, while the Southwest slopes is shorter and steeper. Personally, I prefer the Southwest slopes--it's much less crowded and more scenic. Consider, also, the North ridge from Windsor Lake (past the fish hatchery). That's a spectacular way to experience the mountain, and gets you a few of the other summits. There's a little bit of low-class scrambling on the ridge (mainly on North Massive).

Why not do all of them?
I've considered the route from Windsor Lake or Native Lake as described in Roach, but I can't find much info on that route. I don't want to do too much trail finding or bushwhacking

Not sure if my old body can take it
DenneyR
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DenneyR »

USAKeller wrote:Check out this thread on Massive's routes from a few months ago and hopefully that can help answer your question!
thanks so much for the link to the other thread. It helped a lot.

Looks like the SW Slopes will be my choice. Mainly because of less people and better scenery.......I can handle the steeper trail, shorter distance
USAKeller
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

DenneyR wrote:
USAKeller wrote:Check out this thread on Massive's routes from a few months ago and hopefully that can help answer your question!

Looks like the SW Slopes will be my choice. Mainly because of less people and better scenery.......I can handle the steeper trail, shorter distance
SW Slopes is a great choice - my personal favorite of the two!
DenneyR
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DenneyR »

USAKeller wrote:
DenneyR wrote:

SW Slopes is a great choice - my personal favorite of the two!
BTW, I love your quote........."Somewhere between that settin' sun, I'm on fire and born to run."
USAKeller
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

DenneyR wrote:BTW, I love your quote........."Somewhere between that settin' sun, I'm on fire and born to run."
Haha thanks! It's from the country song "Springsteen" by Eric Church and it pretty much sums up where I feel I'm at in life right now, especially the "born to run" part...
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

HIked up southwest trail after car camping night before-----had alittle 'issue in the dark ' chosing path thru boulder field ---- great summit with good folks as always!!!
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

I did the SW route this past summer and loved it. I'd rather do shorter but steeper routes versus longer gentler routes. Also the road is much improved over what it has been in the past.

I finished the last .25 miles or so with 2 guys that came up the standard longer route. We spent the time on the summit together and they decided to descend with me and I dropped them off at their truck on the way out. While they weren't huge fans of the rocks they said that side of the mtn was much more scenic and way shorter.

We also got to see the infamous white marmot of Mt. Massive.
Attachments
Co July 2012_084 small.jpg
Co July 2012_084 small.jpg (285.56 KiB) Viewed 611 times
DenneyR
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DenneyR »

Does anyone have any info on the route from Windsor Lake or Native Lake as described in Roach, I can't find much info on that route.