Winter Hydration

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
winmag4582001
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (5)
13er Checklist (28)

Re: Winter Hydration

Postby winmag4582001 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:14 am

Usally pack 32oz. water, 32oz. sports drink and a 20oz. thermos of hot tea. Last few outings I've returned with just the sports drink left. I drink about 1/3 of the liquid in winter compared to summer.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."
susanjoypaul
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (87)

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:38 am

I boil three liters of water while I'm making breakfast before the hike. Two go into Nalgene bottles, along with packets of powdered G-2, and the third one goes in a thermos with powdered hot chocolate.

I use an insulated parka to store my first Nalgene, and attach it onto my pack. If you're worried about it freezing over on the narrow opening, store it upside-down. If you're worried about dropping it out of the parka, or the parka falling off your pack (and potentially sliding away), use a small piece of cordelette and prusik the bottle to the parka, and the parka to your pack.

I drink one bottle on the way up, and the hot chocolate on the summit, and I always swap out my G-2 water on the summit so I have a full one for the way down, because I am not likely to stop.

I also bring two cold bottles of G-2 (raspberry lemonade is pretty good) and a chocolate protein shake in the car, stored in a cooler, and drink one G-2 on the drive in, the protein shake after the hike, and the last G-2 on the drive home.

I like to have systems and routines in place for those things that are most important, and hydration is pretty important. That way, no matter how distracted or tired I am, I'm not likely to screw it up.
kansas
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby kansas » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:39 am

I got tired of dicking with the camelback thing a long time ago.

1) Drink 1 liter of water before starting.

2) Carry 20oz Vitamin Water bottle filled with water (inside of coat or pack). Normally I will only drink half of this at most.

3) Thermos for something hot.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
MountainHiker
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (104)

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:06 am

My water bottles usually ride in my pack side pockets. That’s not as good as inside the pack. I help them out by having them upside down and have a hand warmer under each one against the lid. It’s common for ice to coat the insides while still being able to open and drink from the bottles. I have put the bottles inside the pack with a body warmer when on colder outings.

MountainHikerette insists on using a bladder so she made a harness inside her jacket with her. She still battles the tube freeze issue, so will go to bottles inside her jacket.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
Mindy
14er Checklist (14)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby Mindy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:45 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:

packets of powdered G-2,

two cold bottles of G-2 (raspberry lemonade is pretty good)

Susan what is G-2?
I Man
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (49)
13er Checklist (73)

Postby I Man » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:52 pm

Mindy wrote:
susanjoypaul wrote:

packets of powdered G-2,

Susan what is G-2?

G2 = Gatorade.

Someone needs to get Gatorade to sponsor an expedition to G2!
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
susanjoypaul
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (87)

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Mindy wrote:
susanjoypaul wrote:

packets of powdered G-2,

Susan what is G-2?

It's the low calorie version of Gatorade. It has the same electrolytic value, but a loss less sugar, carbs and calories. I eat/drink very little sugar, so the "full sugar" drinks are just too sweet for me.
Bean
14er Checklist (29)
14ers Skied (28)
14ers in Winter (8)
13er Checklist (7)

Postby Bean » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:52 pm

jaymz wrote:I recall someone at one point suggesting a tiny dash of vodka in your water - obviously not enough to affect your mental state, but enough to lower the freezing temp. Anyone ever try that, or was I being "punk'd"?

The amount of alcohol required to lower the freezing temp enough to make any sort of practical difference is enough to get you pretty hammered on a long day.

I ran some calculations, and (assuming I didn't screw them up somewhere) a hearty (yet still drinkable) combination of salt, sugar, and alcohol is only going to get you a couple degrees at best.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
SchralpTheGnar
14er Checklist (50)
14ers Skied (48)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (15)

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:41 pm

I've noticed that the winter seasonal beers freeze when I leave them outside and it's below 20 degrees or so. After the beer thaws, it then gets really foamy, any thoughts on what to do with this, other than not leave the beer outside, wrap them in a blanket?
Presto
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (308)

Postby Presto » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:51 pm

by SchralpTheGnar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:41 pm
I've noticed that the winter seasonal beers freeze when I leave them outside and it's below 20 degrees or so. After the beer thaws, it then gets really foamy, any thoughts on what to do with this, other than not leave the beer outside, wrap them in a blanket?

Bury them in the snow. The man and I discovered this by doing a test when winter camping. Beers left outside, or even in the vestibule, will freeze and foam. Beers buried in the snow were insulated and survived just fine.

:iluvbeer:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”