Brainard Lake area conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Brainard Lake area conditions

Post by Dave B »

Anyone been up to Brainard Lake area recently that might have a picture of the Navajo/Apache area? I'm particularly interested in the east ledges on Apache and/or Navajo snowfield area and Navajo north face. Has there been much snow up there? Even a picture from the FRange would be good, I don't get a good vantage from Fort Collins.

Also, I'm assuming the gate is closed but am hoping the road is pretty clear, any updates on this would be awesome as well.
Make wilderness less accessible.
ak47
14ers: 44 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Brainard Lake area conditions

Post by ak47 »

I haven't been up to Brainard in a few weeks but live just below Ward, 2 nights ago we had some rain/ice/snow mix that I assume dropped a trace amount of snow up high, but made for surprisingly slick road and trail conditions yesterday. The gate is closed and road most definitely clear to the lake. The trail approach was icy in the trees a few weeks ago and would assume is about the same. I guess I would be concerned about icy conditions in airplane gully(north facing) if heading for navajo. Navajo snowfield has barely any snow I would not recommend trying to climb or descend it. Apache east ledges may be holding a little snow and ice and is a pretty steep hike down. I would bring microspikes, and a mtn bike will shave 2 hours off your trip. Good luck AK
JEyez
14ers: 28 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JEyez »

I was there a week ago today. Parked at the winter closure and biked to Long Lake TH with no real problem. Hiked up to Navajo via Airplane Gully. I used microspikes on the approach, the gully, and the descent. No ice troubles. I had the entire wilderness to myself. No doubt a perfect day.

"Damn right I like the life I live, 'cause I went from negative to positive." - The Black Frank White

"There is only one day left, always starting over: it is given to us at dawn and taken away from us at dusk." - Jean-Paul Sartre

http://www.hedrickdata.com/livinthedream

Jeremy Isenhart
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

JEyez wrote:I was there a week ago today. Parked at the winter closure and biked to Long Lake TH with no real problem. Hiked up to Navajo via Airplane Gully. I used microspikes on the approach, the gully, and the descent. No ice troubles. I had the entire wilderness to myself. No doubt a perfect day.

Thanks! You wouldn't happen to have a more close up shot of the Navajo snow field would you? Was thinking about climbing that directly as an ice climb, but ak's comment above makes me wonder what's even left after this last winter/summer combo.
ak47
14ers: 44 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ak47 »

Looks like I'm climbing audobon and paiute tomorrow from coney flats, will post the best pics I can, probably by 6 or 7 pm tomorrow, hope this might help. Alex
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

ak47 wrote:Looks like I'm climbing audobon and paiute tomorrow from coney flats, will post the best pics I can, probably by 6 or 7 pm tomorrow, hope this might help. Alex
That would be great, wouldn't mind an update on the route you're doing as well if possible.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

I also appreciate the info, I spend a lot of time in this area during the winter.
JEyez
14ers: 28 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JEyez »

Dave B wrote:Thanks! You wouldn't happen to have a more close up shot of the Navajo snow field would you? Was thinking about climbing that directly as an ice climb, but ak's comment above makes me wonder what's even left after this last winter/summer combo.
I didn't take many pictures on this hike. I got a fairly late start, so I was on a mission to summit and be back to Lake Isabelle before sunset. What you see is that picture. Here is the link to view the original image on my website. Hope this helps...

http://hedrickdata.com/photos/IPW2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Damn right I like the life I live, 'cause I went from negative to positive." - The Black Frank White

"There is only one day left, always starting over: it is given to us at dawn and taken away from us at dusk." - Jean-Paul Sartre

http://www.hedrickdata.com/livinthedream

Jeremy Isenhart