Gore range identification?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Gore range identification?

Post by rking007 »

Was looking for some peak identification on these Gores. If interested, I will update with names and arrows. Just a fun project.

This is the largest I can get the image in the forum thread but it is much larger.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Re: Gore range identification?

Post by lordhelmut »

As I zoomed in, I couldn't make out much North of Z, but I imagine Q, L, N, Bloodshaw and the top of Powell are in there somewhere.
Gores 2.jpg
Gores 2.jpg (119.1 KiB) Viewed 2661 times
rking007
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

Here's a zoom of Red to Solitude.

- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Guysleman, N and O are far right, but I think the big peak that looks left of them is actually Powell behind and above them (it kind of blends in). Do you have a zoom of the right side?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

If you have Google Earth installed on your browser, you can play with this tool I made a couple years ago.

http://100summits.com/articles/tools/go ... h-all.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rking007
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

Here is as zoomed as I could go without introducing a ton of digital noise. They go from left to right and I left a little overlap in them for orientation.

rking007
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

mattpayne11 wrote:If you have Google Earth installed on your browser, you can play with this tool I made a couple years ago.

http://100summits.com/articles/tools/go ... h-all.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I will definitely check this tool out when I get home! Thanks.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

mattpayne11 wrote:If you have Google Earth installed on your browser, you can play with this tool I made a couple years ago.

Nice! Do you happen to have a KML of this? My job gives me access to a slightly niftier version of google earth and it would be cool to be able to plug it in.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

if you are there again, use PeaksAR on a smart phone. it will identify all peaks in a set distance. great app
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Gores 3.jpg
Gores 3.jpg (156.01 KiB) Viewed 2546 times
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

metalmountain wrote:

Nice! Do you happen to have a KML of this? My job gives me access to a slightly niftier version of google earth and it would be cool to be able to plug it in.
I do. Send me a PM with your email address.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Here's the KML file URL. Either do a right click and "Save Target As" or click on it and it will automatically download.

http://www.100summits.com/images/storie ... ummits.kml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein